• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:11:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Library of Congress Research Help  (Read 5628 times)
maugham1

« on: May 02, 2012, 1:31:10 PM »

I need to track down some information in the Library of Congress newspaper reading room.  Since it should take under 2 hours to find what I need, rather than fly down myself I would like to hire a grad student already working in the LoC to do the leg work for me.  Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should advertise the job?
seniorscholar
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 6:32:23 PM »

Have you met any faculty from the D.C area who is in your field at a conference or elsewhere? I've had e-mails from people  I've met (online or in person) and whose research I know, asking if I have a grad student who might be willing to transcribe some papers at a local archive, and have provided the e-mail of a suitable person. That way the other scholar can be sure of getting a dependable and competent person, and the grad student has made a professional contact that may well be useful some day.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 6:33:36 PM by seniorscholar » Logged
whiteknight
Cool Customer

The Man Comes Around

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 7:58:35 PM »

I need to track down some information in the Library of Congress newspaper reading room.  Since it should take under 2 hours to find what I need, rather than fly down myself I would like to hire a grad student already working in the LoC to do the leg work for me.  Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should advertise the job?

You should also contact the reading room staff and make sure the newspaper is available. They were moving warehouses last time I was there and told me it would be two months before the newspaper I wanted was accessible.

Also, there are a number of newspapers available online through the LC website. That might help you if you haven't looked already.
aristotelian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 8:09:26 PM »

I would send inquiries to the department chairs in your fields at the DC area universities. Surely one of them will have a grad student or even undergrad looking to make some extra cash.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 9:28:09 PM »

The Folger Shakespeare Library is right across the street from the LoC, and there are probably a dozen or so grad students ensconced there over the course of the summer, many of whom are on fellowship from the Library or their own institutions. 

When I was there a few summers ago, the Folger closed by about 5 every day, but the LoC I believe stays open until 7 or 8 a few days a week.  So they could just pop across the street for you without eating into their own archival research time.  You might call the Folger's main number, see if you can speak to the Desk Attendant about posting a notice.  The only hitch might be that an early modernist is less likely to be familiar with access to the newspapers you need to look at.  But if it's easy enough to explain over email, then that's another option.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
collegekidsmom

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 9:59:33 PM »

I would contact the appropriate librarians at the LOC and ask for advice. They deal with this all the time I'm sure. They will just tell you the best way to proceed.
maugham1

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.  It turns out that contacting the LoC was the way to go - they not only confirmed they have the items, but sent me what I needed!  The staff was incredibly helpful and will definitely get a thank you shout out when I finish the article.
collegekidsmom

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 9:25:49 PM »

Great! Glad it worked out well!
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.  It turns out that contacting the LoC was the way to go - they not only confirmed they have the items, but sent me what I needed!  The staff was incredibly helpful and will definitely get a thank you shout out when I finish the article.

Excellent.  If you ever get a chance, do visit, it is an amazing system.

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: