• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Why all the hating on pinstripes?  (Read 10605 times)
marigolds
looks far too young to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 4:30:07 PM »

Ha! and I thought boating jacket.

Boy I love boating jackets. With a straw hat of course. What are the boating hats for men called? Made of straw, flat on top and flat brimmed, with a black ribbon.

Skimmers. Or simply straw boaters.
I've never heard called anything but "boaters".

Well, I have several disreputable friends who are chaps.  So I know lots of useless stuff about such things as spats and cravats.

I want to go shopping with you, S_D.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 4:35:34 PM »

Boy I love boating jackets. With a straw hat of course. What are the boating hats for men called? Made of straw, flat on top and flat brimmed, with a black ribbon.

I've never heard called anything but "boaters".

Well, I have several disreputable friends who are chaps.  So I know lots of useless stuff about such things as spats and cravats.

I want to go shopping with you, S_D.

Anytime, Marigolds!
(Every issue of "The Chap" has an article entitled "Human Race reaches Sartorial Nadir."  Hee.)

zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 4:37:10 PM »

The boat blazer isn't really pin stripe since the stripes are so wide.

I'd call those wider stripes chalkstripes.

Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 4:45:58 PM »

My main HS teacher would approve, after one class when, during his usual sit on the cast-iron hot water radiator, inherited the vertical chalk stripes from it (yes, now I'll admit, I did it.)
laurel_knx

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 9:34:48 AM »

I think what we're learning from the fashion lesson above is that there is a fine line between "pinstripes" (acceptable for interviews) and "zoot suits" and "barbershop quartet costumes" (not ok).

Personally, I like a conservative black with grey pinstripe suit and I think almost anyone could wear that to an interview. But anything beyond that gets questionable fast. There's still the risk of looking like a banker, which might not fly in some departments.

For the record, I'm born and bred southern and I get the creeps from seersucker suits. They make me think you're ready to hit the country club and call me "sugar pie".
dr_prephd

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

There's still the risk of looking like a banker, which might not fly in some departments.

Or a mobster.

merce
strange attractor

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 2:18:59 PM »

Go to thesartorialist.com if you would like to see dashing you men wearing pinstripes.
For example this fine fellow.

A little less sleek and formal. Probably too informal for an interview but perfect for teaching, going out in the afternoon, and conferencing.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 2:22:56 PM »

For the record, I'm born and bred southern and I get the creeps from seersucker suits. They make me think you're ready to hit the country club and call me "sugar pie".

Or that you are Colonel Sanders

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 3:12:37 PM »

Or that you are Colonel Sanders

This is the why are people hating on perfectly normal clothes thread. Not the "let's hate on" thread.

You guys really need to see more fashionable folk. There are magazines for that. I live in a fashionless realm and still appreciate a good look even if I've begun to be lazy about dressing myself.

Fine beaus can wear seersuckers.

And actually, my brother has a seersucker jacket he wears with a tshirt or white linen shirt underneath and jeans rolled up with white suede shoes. Sometimes he wears these white overalls with the bib part hanging down. I don't like that. But he was called the most fashionable man in the Marais.
That's saying something right there!

spammer 
laurel_knx

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 3:27:57 PM »

And actually, my brother has a seersucker jacket he wears with a tshirt or white linen shirt underneath and jeans rolled up with white suede shoes. Sometimes he wears these white overalls with the bib part hanging down. I don't like that. But he was called the most fashionable man in the Marais.
That's saying something right there!

The seersucker outfit sounds pretty hot, but he lost me at the overalls. This other guy, though....

A little less sleek and formal. Probably too informal for an interview but perfect for teaching, going out in the afternoon, and conferencing.

He looks like he's wearing pervert pajamas.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 3:35:20 PM »

Go to thesartorialist.com if you would like to see dashing you men wearing pinstripes.

I'm intrigued by the fashionability of high-water pants of the type in the first photo.  I also remain to be convinced of the black/charcoal suit--brown shoe look, though god I have some great brown shoes.

Que scay-je?
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 3:59:06 PM »

I'm intrigued by the fashionability of high-water pants of the type in the first photo.  I also remain to be convinced of the black/charcoal suit--brown shoe look, though god I have some great brown shoes.

I LOVE that pants length. (I hesitate to say "break," since they totally don't.)  It's an echo of the early 60s, I think--the flat-front, slightly narrow-leg trousers look so fresh.

Down with pleats!

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
machiavelli

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 1:02:47 AM »

I'm actually kinda tempted by the orange pinstripes idea.  For conferences.  :-)

and yes, DOWN WITH PLEATS.  I refuse to buy pleated pants.  Ever.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 1:54:14 AM »

I'm actually kinda tempted by the orange pinstripes idea.  For conferences.  :-)

and yes, DOWN WITH PLEATS.  I refuse to buy pleated pants.  Ever.

Hello.
Pleatless and Italian?
I may be in love with you.

spammer 
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 7:57:16 AM »

That is not a chalkstrip. This is a chalkstrip. The thing from Viyella is an abomination that should not be seen outside Henley (and Viyella really should know better).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: