• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:03:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I mean teacher?  (Read 19566 times)
chicago_48

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 9:17:33 PM »

Sorry, but I was too busy to let the students know before today.  But, it just so happens that after I sent the email out to the students (who were absent), one of them magically appeared in high heels and a fur stole, and said she was downstairs at a party.  In other words, she got the message in time to get to class and sign in.
There are "some" students (mainly the ones that the email was addressed to) who have not shown up for class like they should; have a 50% absence rate.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 9:18:41 PM by chicago_48 » Logged
funkypeanut
Keepin' and droppin' and tweakin'
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 9:18:03 PM »

(((                                )))

!

Don't mind him. I ate his brains.

Also, you are all disqualified.

From the circus? Now that's bad.

forest_and_the_trees: "And I keep reading funkypeanut as funkypeasant.  There are so few of those."

Quote from: ptarmigan
"Fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, mix, mix!"
chicago_48

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 9:20:23 PM »

By disqualified, do you mean that they won't be allowed to turn in the take-home assignment or that they won't be able to take the final exam or what?

Was this regularly scheduled class time? It sounded like it in your first post, but I'm not sure from your last post. Or is this the scheduled time for the final, and you just today told the students that they had to come even though they have a take-home assignment instead of an in-class exam? This is rather confusing.
The "projects" is from the book, it's the Capstone section of a book.  There's no way I can take their books from them, is there?  So the requirement is that they show up for class (attendance) and have the work ready uploaded online by XX deadline.
I've become more jaded the more I teach at the community college.  Especially about absences.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 9:21:37 PM by chicago_48 » Logged
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 9:22:28 PM »

Where the heck was this class held if students are "downstairs at a party?"

From the original post, what about the reference to "2 days?"

What does "disqualified" mean exactly?

Did they not know at all until this morning that they were supposed to show up today?

Did you send out the email during class?

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 9:22:40 PM »

Sorry, but I was too busy to let the students know before today.  But, it just so happens that after I sent the email out to the students (who were absent), one of them magically appeared in high heels and a fur stole, and said she was downstairs at a party.  In other words, she got the message in time to get to class and sign in.
There are "some" students (mainly the ones that the email was addressed to) who have not shown up for class like they should; have a 50% absence rate.

Dude, did you fall off the high wire and conk your head? You can't disqualify students from the final for not showing up to class to get the project instructions with no notice except an email sent the same day. Did I get that straight? I mean, you can, but you are absolutely begging for trouble, and not for nothing, but admin is most likely going to side with the students on this issue if they should complain, which most likely they will.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 9:23:51 PM by prytania3 » Logged

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
funkypeanut
Keepin' and droppin' and tweakin'

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 9:23:19 PM »

I would penalize them for not attending regularly scheduled classes, but not for one that was announced only that afternoon. Policies need to be stated clearly in advance. Not everyone checks email obsessively every five minutes, and some students who have only take-home finals leave campus early and finish their work at home. Is this an evening class? Do some of your students commute? Short notice could be problematic for work/travel schedules for students who don't live on campus or who have families.

forest_and_the_trees: "And I keep reading funkypeanut as funkypeasant.  There are so few of those."

Quote from: ptarmigan
"Fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, mix, mix!"
slightlylargerzombie

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 9:24:02 PM »

Dude, did you fall off the high wire and conk your head?

Attitude! Disqualified!
palla

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 9:24:24 PM »

The "projects" is from the book, it's the Capstone section of a book.  There's no way I can take their books from them, is there?  So the requirement is that they show up for class (attendance) and have the work ready uploaded online by XX deadline.
I've become more jaded the more I teach at the community college.  Especially about absences.

So what does "disqualified" mean?  What are you going to do to the students?
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 9:24:53 PM »

Popcorn, I smell popcorn.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
heynonnynonnymouse

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 9:25:21 PM »

You can't change the rules mid-game. Have a clearly-established attendance and assignment completion policy from day one and abide by it. Changing an assignment's parameters with a few hours of notice is not acceptable or fair to your students.

I don't know if you're a mean teacher, but your story certainly suggests that you've made a pretty serious error in judgment with this.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 9:26:21 PM »

This is the best thread in a long time. It's like a circus.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
hungry_ghost

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 9:31:55 PM »

Dude, did you fall off the high wire and conk your head?

Attitude! Disqualified!

Disqualified?!
Does that mean since he conked his head, his braaaiiiins are no longer edible?
(bruised, like a rotten apple, I suppose?)
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 9:33:28 PM »

Okay, never mind, no popcorn.

If you disqualify the zombies, do the ghosts win by default?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 9:34:45 PM »

Don't disqualify me! I am your flower-smelling, field-gambolling friend! That other one is just trynna be like me.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
yellowtractor

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 9:36:55 PM »

Don't disqualify me! I am your flower-smelling, field-gambolling friend! That other one is just trynna be like me.

Don't get excited.  It's an...ahem...academic question.

Chicago_48, in spite of the play, we're truly interested.  Are we misinterpreting what happened here?  If we're right, then as Heynonny says, you're not a mean teacher:  you've simply done something very very bad.  At my institution, the students would file a complaint, and the administration would uphod the students.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: