• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:57:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me be tactful  (Read 45785 times)
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 2:16:53 PM »

She didn't realize that her issues were taking such a toll on the students. I approached it from the standpoint of "they are easily stressed out, and adult concerns can be too much for them."  That gave her an easy way out.  

That was very clever!  Good luck -- I hope that brings some resolution to the problem.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
cj405

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »

She didn't realize that her issues were taking such a toll on the students. I approached it from the standpoint of "they are easily stressed out, and adult concerns can be too much for them."  That gave her an easy way out.  

That was very clever!  Good luck -- I hope that brings some resolution to the problem.

I agree.  That was a great way to make it feel less personal.

"These things sneak up on him for no reason, these flashes of irrational happiness.  It's probably a vitamin deficiency." -Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake
pigirl31415
Goddess of Imaginary Light

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 6:55:38 PM »

If this were me, my first action would be to call my HR office and find the person who works with training, employee evaluations, performance improvement, etcetera, and talk through the problem with them.

Wow...there are HR offices that do this?
mercy_my_own

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 8:45:46 AM »

If this were me, my first action would be to call my HR office and find the person who works with training, employee evaluations, performance improvement, etcetera, and talk through the problem with them.

Wow...there are HR offices that do this?

The EE/HR unit at my campus regularly visits to departments asking us to get their advice before address conflict, in an effort to make a lower risk profile for the university. But we also have a robust supervisor training program so maybe we're different?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: