• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:21:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you tweak what comes up when you google yourself?  (Read 9803 times)
windowoffice

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 8:00:00 AM »

Ask Rick Santorum.
zuzu_
Frakking
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 8:51:53 AM »

Ask Rick Santorum.

Zing! (Awesome.)
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 1:57:15 PM »

This article appeared which may be of interest.

I have statcounter on my webpage so I can know who has looked at it. Academia.edu tells you from which country a visitor to your page comes but I haven't figured out how to get more detailed than that.

This article talks about a service that allows you to see who has searched for you AND how to tweak which pages appear when you are googled.
The steps that follow will guide you on how to use the site's main service, which allows you to submit links you would like to show up as main results on search engines and then offers suggestions on how to boost these links to the top of the results list.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 3:41:45 PM »

...is a rewritten press release (so common in tech "journalism") for a new commercial service. The idea is you set up a profile on their site, and Google will find that first! Scam.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 4:55:00 PM »

Make an academia.edu account and upload a CV and some papers.  These various academia.edu pages are now the first 4-5 matches when I google myself, pushing less desirable results down the page or onto the next one.

That assumes that you think that having a page on academic.edu sends the message you want to send about yourself.  In my field, I'm better off leaving my BIL's pictures of me with the not-so-new baby since academic.edu makes people snicker.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 2:03:17 AM »

...is a rewritten press release (so common in tech "journalism") for a new commercial service. The idea is you set up a profile on their site, and Google will find that first! Scam.

Yep. I tried it out.
I'd like to see who googles me.
I can already see who views my website and my academia.edu profile.
Apparently the article or the Huffpost title were not quite accurate. This service is indeed simply a scam.
Annoyance.
Le Sigh.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: