• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:55:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an Education Bubble? (not a student loan bubble)  (Read 12067 times)
chicago_48

« on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »

National Louis in Illinois is laying off 80-90 staff and cutting some programs.  Are you seeing an "Education" bubble in your area?
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-29/news/ct-met-national-louis-layoffs-0429-20120429_1_faculty-layoffs-associate-professor-upcoming-budget
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 8:10:58 PM »

The bubble will be made up mostly of good enough but not spectacular private schools (like NLU), that have relatively low endowments, are tuition driven, and have not been too savvy about marketing and strategy.   

PS:  I know it is childish, but I had to do a double take when I found that NLU is run by President Megahed, and am still beset by visions of Mars Attacks.

We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »

If it helps, she pronounces it meGAAHed. OK, that doesn't help much.

NLU's had a rocky history over the past decade of financially overextending itself. This may be a case of the chickens coming home to roost. Or perhaps all the escape goats have been launched. I wouldn't call NLU a harbinger of much of anything than the consequences of their own missteps.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

And for a while it was called National Kindergarten and Elementary College.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
csguy

Computer Science faculty

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »

If it helps, she pronounces it meGAAHed. OK, that doesn't help much.

NLU's had a rocky history over the past decade of financially overextending itself. This may be a case of the chickens coming home to roost. Or perhaps all the escape goats have been launched. I wouldn't call NLU a harbinger of much of anything than the consequences of their own missteps.
Escape goats launched? Classic.
katgut5

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »

The bubble will be made up mostly of good enough but not spectacular private schools (like NLU), that have relatively low endowments, are tuition driven, and have not been too savvy about marketing and strategy.   

I agree with this statement, although I'm not sure marketing could really help all of those small liberal arts colleges fighting over students. There are just too many colleges, and too much duplication of academic programs.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

I am at a loss as to what National Louis is doing. Just the other day I saw quite a few of their job ads in Inside Higher Ed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: