• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:56:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) NEH grants  (Read 2146 times)
litdawg
Ambidextrous Humanities Player
Distinguished Senior Member

God & the CHE fora help those who help themselves.

« on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »

I recently applied for an NEH faculty award grant that is available only for faculty at HSIs. I saw that there were additional programs for faculty at HBCUs and tribal colleges. The selection rate was roughly the same as for the regular NEH grants--about 6%. However, it seemed to me that the application pool would be quite different because the required demographics would exclude many doctoral granting institutions. Thus, faculty applying for the grants would likely be working 3-3 and 4-4 teaching loads with heavy service loads. The overall profile of such faculty is more likely to be commensurate with mine than the profile of a faculty member at an elite R1. Given that applicant qualifications (CV) are evaluated alongside the project proposal, these smaller NEH grant pools seem to have the potential of being more unpredictably egalitarian. Does anyone here have experience as an evaluator of these programs or as a recipient of one of the grants? I'm guessing that I'll still have to re-apply and refine my application over a few years, but this seems like a more hopeful venture than other national grant opportunities in the humanities.

The heart of the wise man is tranquil.  Chuang Tzu
pigirl31415
Goddess of Imaginary Light

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

I don't have any experience with the HSI/HBCU/Tribal specific applications. However, and this may seem like a dumb question, have you tried talking with the Program Officer at NEH? If not I highly recommend it - they are often a treasure trove of information and I have only ever encountered one that was not pleasant (and that was a different agency).

Does your Sponsored Programs office have any advice? If you are at a small school without one, drop me a PM and I'll send you some resources.

NEH is pretty open about who receives what grants. You could also get a list of the recent recipients and contact some of those people. I find researchers in the humanities are very open to discussing their experiences with others outside their institution. The place to search all previous awardees is here: https://securegrants.neh.gov/publicquery/main.aspx

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: