• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 1:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Academia.edu Lag  (Read 6975 times)
bcohlan1
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: April 28, 2012, 3:52:16 PM »

Does anyone else find that academia.edu frequently refuses to load or freezes and causes the browser (Firefox in my case) to crash?  I'm wondering if this is an issue with the site right now or something to do with me.  No other websites do this, with the occasional exception of Facebook and Gmail (i.e. other websites that try to do way more things than a website should).

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
yeastie

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 5:40:43 PM »

It was being really wonky yesterday.  I'm new to it, so I don't if that was unusual, or common, behavior for the site.
egilson

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 8:48:01 PM »

[page source rant] My God, how much javascript does one page need just for a search, a bunch of pictures, some links, and a four-field signup form? And why in the world does it have four conditional statements to fix display issues caused by bad coding, including two to make the page work with IE7? [/rant]

Ahem. I don't know if it's your connection or the site, but if it doesn't happen anywhere else and your Firefox is all updated etc. then it's probably the site.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 9:00:34 PM »

FYI: The first time someone from academia.edu came here to drum up business for their new nifty idea, we learned that philosophy majors were programming and that's why the site was incredibly clunky.  We pooh-poohed the need for such a "service" and pointed out that even if the need existed, the interface was incredibly clunky.  The last time I checked the site (several months ago based on a thread here), the same clunky interface existed, but with tons more entries.

I suspect that the interface and/or servers are at their limits because people who knew a little bit of coding made something that worked well enough to go live, but a complete rewrite by someone who knows how to code well would be required to handle the current levels of data and traffic.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 1:21:14 PM »

It doesn't crash on me, but it is incredibly slow. I really like the concept--I just wish it was more user friendly and fun.

I came. I saw. I cited.
bwwm1

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 2:20:40 PM »

Yes, the site is very slow.
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »

FYI: The first time someone from academia.edu came here to drum up business for their new nifty idea, we learned that philosophy majors were programming and that's why the site was incredibly clunky.  [snip]

Yeah, but you should see some sites that were coded by computer scientists. Some of those sites load slowly, crash, or have too many bells and whistles, proving that all CS majors are lousy coders.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 8:03:35 AM »

FYI: The first time someone from academia.edu came here to drum up business for their new nifty idea, we learned that philosophy majors were programming and that's why the site was incredibly clunky.  [snip]

Yeah, but you should see some sites that were coded by computer scientists. Some of those sites load slowly, crash, or have too many bells and whistles, proving that all CS majors are lousy coders.
For the majority of the self-taught CS majors, that's true.  Someone who paid attention in code design class writes fabulous code that makes people weep with the beauty.  Someone who simply codes a lot often writes crap.

All is a statement that I cannot support, but I will stick by the fact that self-taught people often write crap and need more education in how to design flexible modular programs that can handle the load.  I write that as someone who learned that lesson while doing a lot of self-taught coding and then being put on the quality assurance team.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: