• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:39:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: When NOT to STFU  (Read 11095 times)
monsterx

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 3:20:52 AM »

Also, you need a plan to deal with the bully--marginalize, warn others, discredit.

Sounds like gossiping and rumor mongering to me.  Seldom have I disagreed with you more, assuming you are serious.  A campaign to discredit a (purported) bully sounds a lot like a bullying campaign to me.

What else are you going to do besides pay him back in the same coin?  It is not a good solution, it doesn't bring about a good atmosphere, but then, neither does doing nothing.
ruralguy
Super Duper Zillion Star Member
Distinguished Senior Member

Full Prof; STEM; SLAC; Rural US

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

It really all sounds like "personality conflict" rather than bullying.

I have seen this in seeveral depts.

The people don't like each other. Whoever is in control is accused of "bullying."
hegemony

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 3:03:30 PM »

Two people bullying is not a solution to one person bullying.  If someone is a bully, all the more reason to strengthen the sanity and fairness where one can, or the whole department sinks into the mire.

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
slac_vap
Aliases include: slap_vac, shop_vac, slap_vap, slac_vac, and slac_vp.

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 4:32:45 PM »

If this is as long-standing as you describe, then why didn't someone advise this new tenure-tracker 6 years ago? It sounds like your department needs a formal mentoring program for new faculty.

"...the world between reality and fantasy improv nonsense is blurred in Columbus." -David Gaus
shrek

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 7:18:51 PM »

It really all sounds like "personality conflict" rather than bullying.

I have seen this in seeveral depts.

The people don't like each other. Whoever is in control is accused of "bullying."

Could be-- the bully's personality is in conflict with 90% of the faculty. If not more.

If this is as long-standing as you describe, then why didn't someone advise this new tenure-tracker 6 years ago? It sounds like your department needs a formal mentoring program for new faculty.

We do, and guess who was the mentor? The point of my story is this: the junor faculty member needed to not STFU. I think staying quiet allowed it to continue.
I was up for full at the time. So, I didn't get a say in the mentoring scheme.
I made full despite having a shouting match with the bully in the middle of the hallway one day over their behavior with me not long before the vote. Now everyone is co-mentored (at least on paper) so that if the bully gets in their the effect is mitigated-- or so goes the theory.
galway

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 7:30:56 PM »

Whether it is bullying I'm not sure but the comment about lots of comments along the lines of "you do good work for a yyy" and that a faculty member was only being funded for being a "yyy" steers pretty close to the line for the definitions for racial/ethnic/sex discrimination (depends what that "yyy" is).  If one of the faculty who gets to vote on a yyy tenure bid and have power over their working life (in dept allocations or other ways) believes and states publicly that 'yyy's are not capable of the quality of work of let's say a 'zzz' faculty member then that dept is setting itself up for a suit.  That suit may not emerge but a tenure denial is a really good flash point for that to happen.  So if discrimination is the basis for, or strongly associated with, much of this bullying behavior your dept should watch its backside, because if the supervisors in that dept and above know about this behavior and do nothing to stop it the institution may have a liability issue.  Suits like this are really damaging for everyone no matter who wins - the faculty member may not win a judgement (after all a close but not quite tenure bid can be just that) but how do you think the campus and public will react if someone perceived as a stellar teacher files a sex or racial discrimination suit?  

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: