• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:11:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How may days of leave are normal for attending a conference?  (Read 5276 times)
randomlife

« on: April 26, 2012, 6:41:18 PM »

I know one week would be normal, but if I' like to stay for two weeks, is it normal to add annual leave days on top of a conference trip?
realbusacad

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 4:35:54 AM »

So you mean you'll be collaborating with leading scholars in the field on research projects and writing for two weeks after the conference, so actually this requires no holiday days and it can be fully expensed...
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 5:20:43 AM »

I know one week would be normal, but if I' like to stay for two weeks, is it normal to add annual leave days on top of a conference trip?

I have done this before - I pay for any extra days in hotels, living costs etc. and make sure I have personal travel insurance for the period. As long as you are not missing teaching commitments and do take it as annual leave this shouldn't be a problem. In fact, last time I did it I saved the university nearly 200 on the cost of flights.

So you mean you'll be collaborating with leading scholars in the field on research projects and writing for two weeks after the conference, so actually this requires no holiday days and it can be fully expensed...

If you are found to be abusing the system in this way you may find that you will not get any future conference funding. This has been true of two universities where I have worked. The taxman may also have something to say......
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »

As long as you haven't chosen a vanity conference in Hawaii or the South of France, and you're presenting, it's both normal and reasonable to add a few days on. As Scotia says, make sure you have your own travel insurance and don't try to be cheeky with accommodation or travel costs and all will be fine.

The best one I ever heard of was at my PhD institution: EU-funded programme including the University of the Aegean as a collaborator. Due to the extortionate fares demanded by the scheduled airlines, it really *was* appreciably cheaper (to the tune of several hundred quid per head, this being before the days of Ryanair and EasyJet) to take a package flight and stay on for a couple of extra days on Santorini. The guys on the trip just took some annual leave, the department and the EU taxpayers saved a packet, and the rest of us left at home in the rain tried to ignore the gloating postcards and smug emails.
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »

I do this a lot... but always tie it in to annual leave.

Although if I have to travel more than 7 time zones I ask and get a day before the conference starts. When I was younger I seemed to be able to handle the to and fro a lot better than I have done over the past 10 years.

Although maybe it just was 10 years ago I didn't have the nerve to demand a day to get over jet lag.

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
drspouse

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 5:50:32 PM »

I find "working" from home handy for getting over jet lag... Joking aside, if I or a colleague notify the department that we will be at the Annual Basketweaving Congress in Seattle for four days and returning to the UK on the 10th, but working from home on the 11th to get over jetlag... usually no-one asks for a meeting, or complains if emails aren't read before midday. 

However, we had a conference in Japan two weeks before the end of term once, and I requested about 8 days annual leave to tack on (I think the conference was MTW so just a week would have meant I'd have to fly back midweek for a couple of days practically asleep at work), and it was refused. I didn't want to fly to Japan just for a 3 day conference, so I didn't go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: