• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: After Campus Interview - How long should I wait  (Read 6352 times)
miraceli

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 1:49:44 AM »

Ok, I have one of thise "what does it mean?" questions -- I know it could be anything, but I have to let if off my chest.

I went on a campus interview two weeks ago, in which they told me they would reach a decision by the following week. I heard nothing from them, so I assumed I was out of the running. But two days ago I received an email from the SCC saying that it was taking longer than anticipated for them to be able to contact the applicants.

My optimistic side tells me that this is probably a good sign, because why would they let me know if I wasn't the Chosen One? One usually assumes they're out if there's no answer..

Any ideas?
systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 1:59:45 AM »

Sorry, Miraceli, but there's no way to deduce anything from that email.

They said it's taking longer than anticipated.  The chair probably contacted everyone who interviewed on campus.

miraceli

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 2:22:36 AM »

Thanks, Systeme_D. I knew it, but was secretly hooping someone would say: "of course it is because they want you!". Two more weeks of suspense...
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 2:40:25 AM »

Thanks, Systeme_D. I knew it, but was secretly hooping someone would say: "of course it is because they want you!". Two more weeks of suspense...

Suspense stinks.  But I wish you good luck!

sashat27

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »

sometimes calling them out for the incompetent chimps they can be is not a bad thing

I agree. I believe they should send out a letter to update the applicants and not leave them hanging.

octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 1:35:21 PM »

sometimes calling them out for the incompetent chimps they can be is not a bad thing

I agree. I believe they should send out a letter to update the applicants and not leave them hanging.

They are often precluded from too much communication by institutional rules, weirdness in HR, state regulations, and all manner of ridiculousness that permeates higher education. The rub is, of course, that we are often not aware of who or what is the delay and whether the SC has any control over any of it. Developing patience is important for all of us.

Love your neighbor.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 1:37:48 PM »

I believe that in many searches, they do send out updates to interviewed candidates. One must be patient.

Miraceli, I hope you get good news!

On preview, what octo said.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: