• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:19:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer plans  (Read 39624 times)
wumingshi

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 7:38:30 AM »

--Copyedits and proofs for book that should get me tenure.
--Vacation with my honey.
--Chasing kids around.
--Chillin'.
sinenomine

Located directly over the center of the earth

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »

Get the book MS to the publisher
Gather thoughts for some other research projects
Prep for my new Fall class
Brace myself for my debut as department chair
In light of the item just above, chill out on the patio with many drinks

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."
titian
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 1:00:31 PM »

After finals and assessment, I plan on becoming a hermit.

I do not want to see people, hear people, or talk to people. The email will be set on "out of office". I will catch up on the sleep that I am sorely lacking, give the house a thorough cleaning, and commune with the cats and associated wildlife. There will be many margaritas involved. After a couple weeks I might be fit to be in society again.

Sigh. Why can't summer start now?

My goal for this semester is to move on to being the Crusher of Dreams and Destroyer of Souls.
hosoi3000

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »

Great topic, OP!

(1) Need to submit that article that I have been presenting at conferences, revising, and re-researching for for some time now.
(2) Take the kindhearted wife for a weekend getaway that is far, far away from academia.
(3) See family and friends.
(4) Work on book proposal and grant proposal to support the book project. 
(5) Read and prepare for classes for next year.

Can't wait to cross off that # 1 item on the list.  It should be fun after that.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 1:15:31 AM »

1) Submit Rui Costa to another journal
2) Potentially revise any manuscripts that come back R&R (3 potentially) and/or make progress on two on-going projects
3) Write 11 chapters of interactive text for 303
4) Prep a semester's worth of 404 online
5) Organize a research workshop (papers/proceedings)
6) Complete a triathlon
7) Swim and bike often
8) Tweak 202 online
9) Sew something, anything
10) Paint something, anything
11) Declutter master bedroom, dining and living rooms
12) Do something about the disaster area that is the sewing loft
13) Complete a first rough draft of Emmett

Love your neighbor.
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 5:44:55 PM »

Wow, Octo!

--Continue to work on current book-in-progress
--if I get a contract on above book, apply for subventions for permissions costs
--Write full proposal for book-in-progress #2
--R&R for weird journal I never thought would accept me
--Go to 3 conferences
--Swim a lot
--Maybe shoot for a century on the bike? My hands and arms have been painful recently so I haven't been able to put in any bike time. Maybe a half century this year and a full next summer.
--visit family in the south
--enjoy lots of gin and tonic

I came. I saw. I cited.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

Prep for a new course I'm teaching online in the fall--one that I've never taught in any venue, although I've taught something sort of related.  Re-prep the courses I taught this year, so that I'm actually ready to go by the start of the semester, for a change.  And spend lots of time on the boat, which we missed out on last year, between returning late to MyCity from Somewhere Warm and then unexpectedly losing a very, very close friend just a few days after we got back to town.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 1:28:48 PM »

Prep for a new course I'm teaching online in the fall--one that I've never taught in any venue, although I've taught something sort of related.  Re-prep the courses I taught this year, so that I'm actually ready to go by the start of the semester, for a change.  And spend lots of time on the boat, which we missed out on last year, between returning late to MyCity from Somewhere Warm and then unexpectedly losing a very, very close friend just a few days after we got back to town.

Time on a boat sounds lovely. You can't not be on a boat.

I came. I saw. I cited.
tortugaphd

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 6:46:59 PM »

Wow, Octo!

--Continue to work on current book-in-progress
--if I get a contract on above book, apply for subventions for permissions costs
--Write full proposal for book-in-progress #2
--R&R for weird journal I never thought would accept me
--Go to 3 conferences
--Swim a lot
--Maybe shoot for a century on the bike? My hands and arms have been painful recently so I haven't been able to put in any bike time. Maybe a half century this year and a full next summer.
--visit family in the south
--enjoy lots of gin and tonic

All sound like good plans, bibliothecula!

How's everyone doing with the summer plans?  My final papers come in tomorrow, so my week of non-teaching work is going to come to a screeching halt.  So far, I've done one of my R&R's and revised my cover letter for jobs this fall.  I forgot about the two conference papers I need to write....  Sigh.  I suppose I can find some time to crank out a couple of 15-20 minute presentations between now and June.  One of them already exists in my head.  The other will need some research.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 7:06:53 PM »

BO:  I would love to hear Mary Chapin Carpenter, but I probably won't...Here are my current plans--

1.  Move out of my office- retired.
2.  Finish program evaluation in Western New York.
3.  Continue research, and to work on my two current books.
4.  Bring back physical exercise.  Blood sugars sh!tty lately.
5.  Go to Eastern OR writing workshop.
6.  Spend a subsequent week on the OR coast.
7.  Mow two-acre lawn about 12 times.
8.  Turn two over-the-hill apple trees into firewood.
9.  Go to one of proposed CHE Midwest meetups.

Taste o' the Sixties
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 8:34:20 PM »

-prepare to commence to think about getting ready to move
-whine about moving
-prep two new classes that I've never taught while figuring out how to set up two new labs (I'm a simulationist, how did I end up with two labs?)
-whine about moving
-whine about the heat
-move
-whine about moving while still prepping
-teach two summer outreach residential experiences that I had no business agreeing to do, but am anyway, which makes moving inconvenient.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 9:04:21 PM »

Agreed.  Especially because I barely got out on it last year.  We only went out four times, and one of those times was, in part, a private memorial for our lost friend (just us and his ex-sister-in-law and her partner), so it was tinged with overwhelming sadness.  (While living, the friend had spent a great deal of time with us on said boat.)

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

bibliothecula
Academic ronin

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 1:06:49 PM »

Agreed.  Especially because I barely got out on it last year.  We only went out four times, and one of those times was, in part, a private memorial for our lost friend (just us and his ex-sister-in-law and her partner), so it was tinged with overwhelming sadness.  (While living, the friend had spent a great deal of time with us on said boat.)

I hope that this year the memories are good ones and not painful ones, and that you make many new happy memories.

I came. I saw. I cited.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 1:14:05 PM »

I hope that this year the memories are good ones and not painful ones, and that you make many new happy memories.

Thank you, bibliothecula, that's the goal!  Although I will always feel our friend there, too.  He was such a big part of our lives that his presence is everywhere in MyCity.  He never made it to Somewhere Warm (he died before he ever had the chance, as we'd had the house only a few months by then), so that's another kind of sadness. 

But nothing makes me happier than being on my boat out in the middle of a very large lake, so I'm very much looking forward to that!

barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 12:30:59 AM »

But nothing makes me happier than being on my boat out in the middle of a very large lake, so I'm very much looking forward to that!

Infopri, we must be twins!  (I know that we're about the same age, so it's possible, I suppose!)

I am soooooo looking forward to taking out my solo canoe/kayak onto some northern lake this summer.  Mr. Owl can stay on shore all he wants, but I am determined to get in the boat and explore and paddle and drift to my heart's content--at least once this summer.

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: