• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:58:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you pay someone to design your conference poster?  (Read 18544 times)
monita

« on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

I am currently unemployed and bored, and have been thinking about designing conference posters as a side project (not editing/content, mind you... just layout).  I don't know if this is a reasonable idea or not, because I'm all sorts of crazy lately with a new baby and job loss and all.  Have any of you ever paid someone else to do your poster file?  How much would that service be worth to you?  Does anyone have experience with similar freelance work? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
hegemony
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »

At our university they are all done by a central office, free.  You need to look into where most conferences get their posters done.   And if they'd even be allowed to use freelancers.

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
monita

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 6:07:23 AM »

Thanks, Hegemony.  That is something I hadn't considered... in my field we've always just had to fend for ourselves.  Hmmm.
scampster

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 6:15:06 AM »

I'm not sure Monita and Hegemony are talking about the same thing.

The give away is this:
At our university they are all done by a central office, free. 

Hegemony, do you mean posters made by the conference organizers?

Monita, I interpreted your question as posters made by the conference-goers to present their research?

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
menotti

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 7:14:31 AM »

I would not, personally, but I have worked at universities where there was someone on campus whom you paid to do this (I assume you're talking about posters that present your research).  So it's possible there is a market for it.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 8:08:57 AM »

I wouldn't do it because I have no clue what value would be added by someone else doing it.

After I have selected the material, decided on a logical organization, and made the material fit in the space allotted, what's left for someone to design?  Color choice?  Shading on blocks?

Working with a designer at that point would probably be more work than it's worth in terms of value added.  Working with the official, required institutional person in charge of consistency (making sure that all reports, pamphlets, posters, and other materials are in the approved format) was a huge pain since that person didn't know the material and kept insisting on making changes that were stupid.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
monita

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 2:21:22 PM »

Scampter, that is what I had in mind... designing posters for the conference participants.

Polly_mer, I wouldn't pay for it, either, but I enjoy laying out posters.  It seems like a lot of folks hate the layout part, and I've seen some horrible posters (hard to read, weird colors, too much text).  Essentially, I'd ask the author for the text (<x00 words, for example), photos they'd like to include, etc, and then make it look nice.  So... I'm not sure if that would be worthwhile for folks or not, so the comments here are really helpful.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 2:37:52 PM »

Monita, I think there might be a very small market. You could possibly reach it with targeted Facebook ads?

I think there is a much larger market for free lance graphics design, including posters. Think bigger.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
scampster

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 2:56:48 PM »

Monita, I think there might be a very small market. You could possibly reach it with targeted Facebook ads?

I think there is a much larger market for free lance graphics design, including posters. Think bigger.

Gosh, I would probably pay someone to design a Go To Graphic for me that encapsulates my research. I could sketch it out, but I have little skills in the way of computer graphic design, so getting it from paper to the graphic I put at the beginning of all my talks is a long way. I have a graphic that I drew on my computer for this purpose, but it took me forever and I haven't updated it or made it color (it is black and white for publication) because making it was so tedious.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 6:22:52 PM »

Now, there's an idea. 

I have hired recent graduates in graphics design to help with advertising posters for science outreach events and that was indeed worth the money.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
copper
Ice Road Truckin'

Suckin' it up like Buttercup.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 8:38:33 PM »

I wouldn't hire a poster-designer, nor would I let my students do it.  Learning to display your ideas effectively is a part of learning how to communicate your research.  As a poster judge at conferences, I'd consider hiring someone to do that a serious breach of ethics.

Now, I would happily pay someone to design my lab website.  Or a lab logo, or artwork for a lab t-shirt.  I know there are freelance design websites where clients post requirements and designers compete for them.  I just can't remember any of them offhand.

--Cu

"The most exciting things in life require more courage than we currently have." -- Jack McPhee, or whoever wrote the 4th season of Dawson's.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »

Monita, are you a graphic designer? If not, you'll likely have competition in the market. (That's not to say that you can't beat them!)

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
scampster

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 5:38:20 AM »

Monita, are you a graphic designer? If not, you'll likely have competition in the market. (That's not to say that you can't beat them!)

But I would be more inclined to hire someone with a science PhD to do graphics for me than a graphic designer off the street.

monita

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 7:19:26 AM »

No, I am definitely not a graphic designer.  The only experience I have is designing my own conference posters.  I'm not out to make a real business out of it, though.  I'm just playing with ideas on how to make a bit of money from home.

Copper brought up one concern I had: would it be unethical?  It would certainly be unethical to enter a poster in a competition if you'd had someone else design it.  So, that's something I should think about.
canadatourismguy

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 7:27:02 AM »

I so want to have a 3D poster or maybe one of those that you have to stare at in a certain way to see the picture.  Therefore only those that see things my way will be able to view it...:-)

On preview:  Candadiantourismguy is a subversive of the first order.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: