• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:09:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Staff member ... yeah, but can we get someone better?  (Read 15713 times)
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a
Distinguished Senior Member

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 3:37:10 PM »

Okay, so it's essential to accreditation.  Essential to the existence of the organization.  Is it directly within your job responsibilities?  Or just assumed that you will pick up the slack if it doesn't get done.  Will the person who is directly responsible for the project be held accountable?  Will they let the entire operation collapse? Or will someone take responsibility once they realize they can't bully someone else into performing the work. I've discovered that if I can say no, but still perform my essential duties, the people who devised grand ideas for me to do their job eventually caved and did the work.

I have been to some extent getting people to perform their work. Sometimes it is even satisfactory. But again, it is yet another constant war... And I was hoping for this person's help with it, but now it is still me figthing for 2...

Sometimes you have to let the consequences of the actions of the higher ups come to full fruition.  If there is no "pain" then the organization never changes.

At my Uni there was recently a strike of the non-teaching professional staff.  The admin let is go on for nearly 5 months, with every intent of letting them swing in the breeze.

The "pain" came when the Medical School ( so big grant $$ and Big Alumni $$) found that without those "non-essential" staff that no residency's were going to be processed/assigned, meaning their biggest alumni pool was going to be set back in their education, while irking their legacy donors.

When that came to light, the movement was amazing. Everything solved within 2 weeks.

Yet the absolutely breaking point had to be reached. Had it not, I believe that the non-teaching professional staff would still be on the picket line as Admin did not seem to mind the pain to students or faculty.

I say Work to Rule - the other stuff isn't your problem. If they value accreditation, money will be found.  Document what you do, document who you have told about the staffing issue, and wait.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 3:38:49 PM by balefulregardss » Logged

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 4:24:49 PM »

Latinwords, what about meeting with your supervisor and saying, "This is not working, it cannot work without more resources, and we are going to have a big problem with accreditation. I do not what to be the one to take the fall, so I am returning to my faculty position at the end of the semester. Good luck with this."

Can you do that? Be prepared with a list of demands if they ask you to reconsider--you will stay if they give you two more positions at $X, etc.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
latinwords

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 8:07:46 PM »

I WANT to do this (and I am Full and tenured, so yeah). Just having trouble getting my willpower to that point, and also I really like my supervisor as a person and I know he is  trying to do what he can ...
shrek

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »

I was recently promised a sum of money to hire a manager in my lab for 3 years. And let's say the amount they gave me is X. I really need 2X. Typical for my university that they would like to think that people will be honored to work here. Met with my Dean to make sure the $$ was mine to do with what I think is best for my projects. Dean said yes. I'm advertising for a 50% position for the full X rate. Probably most people will want a full time job. But, I hope that at least I won't be insulting someone at X. And, I'm hoping that there's someone out there who is talented who IS looking for a 50% position and that the money will be right (or that they can put it together with a 50% position somewhere else in the university). I'd rather have 50% of a really smart, organized, and independent person than 100% of someone who is none of those. This may not work for other situations, but I can make it work in mine.
latinwords

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 6:05:13 PM »

Shrek, I hope this will work for you. I wish our higher-ups would understand that good people are worth every penny... Here, I just spent 1/2 of my morning explaining to my staff some basic social norms, and now I am too upset to focus on my own work ... this is absolute craziness :(.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 6:05:56 PM by latinwords » Logged
brixton

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 6:28:53 PM »

Have you put out an ad for the now full-time job?  You might want to write that up.  That will help you see what you don't have in your current worker and help others see what you need. 

To be frank, if I was in a small office, I wouldn't supervise someone I couldn't stand.  I'm at work too many hours. I defnitely think everyone's advice is good -- go to higher ups to try to increase the base salary or re-configure the position.  But if this doesn't go anywhere you're still stuck with an inadequate position and an inadequate person in that position.  One piece of that equation you have control over.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 9:04:30 PM »

Sometimes, you have to surrender one battle to win the war.

Don't fight and die for something that won't happen.  Run away and fight another day.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 9:19:03 PM »

Latinwords, what about meeting with your supervisor and saying, "This is not working, it cannot work without more resources, and we are going to have a big problem with accreditation. I do not what to be the one to take the fall, so I am returning to my faculty position at the end of the semester. Good luck with this."

Can you do that? Be prepared with a list of demands if they ask you to reconsider--you will stay if they give you two more positions at $X, etc.

Absolutely this.  And Polly's right that you have to surrender sometimes to win the war.  It can work.  And if it doesn't, then the headache goes on while you sit back and peacefully sip margaritas on your deck watching the sun set instead of trying to run a program without resources and support.  Don't forget your quality of life in all of this. 
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 9:38:50 PM »

I'll also add that if the administration is this clueless with the wrong priorities, then you ought to be on the market.

While many places operate on a tight budget and it's good enough, you do not want to have the sign

We, The Unwilling,
Led by the Unqualified,
Have been doing the Unbelievable for so long with so little,
We now attempt the impossible with nothing…….

on the wall and mean it.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
niceday

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 7:55:17 AM »

Latinwords, I think you should fire the non-performing person. Go to the administration with a plan of what it would take to actually make this scheme run--X full time people at Y salaries, for a total of No Way in Hell. Let them turn you down, resign, and go back into the faculty. Let the unfunded program die, at least for now.

Sorry for the rant, this thread just touched on a recent sore point for me.

We as a profession need to stop agreeing to our own exploitation.

I wish I could let the stupid thing die - but it is essential to our accreditation!!! I do not know what the .... people are thinking...

That you'll take this problem off their plate at your own time and blood.

Drop it. Let them worry about accreditation. It's their jobs on the line, too.
latinwords

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 9:42:37 PM »

I wish I could let the stupid thing die - but it is essential to our accreditation!!! I do not know what the .... people are thinking...

That you'll take this problem off their plate at your own time and blood.

Drop it. Let them worry about accreditation. It's their jobs on the line, too.

Hmm that is a very accurate observation of what is happening... Excellent point; I should really remember this!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 9:43:21 PM by latinwords » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: