• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:18:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: management consultants and unis  (Read 8867 times)
observer3

« on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am working on some research about management consultants and universities in the current climate. If anyone has any info to share like articles, stories, websites or other info, I would love to see it. Feel free to PM me if you would rather not be open about these.
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

There was a story about UCL spending >100,000 on management consults to re-do their logo, where "re-do" consisted of moving the letters UCL from the center to a corner of the blue space. 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

My former Uni spent some well invested money in some branding/marketing and image consultants... the result was that the Uni subsequently had a standard corporate look (instead of each school doing what it wanted). The logo was redesigned.... and became cleaner and more modern.

I do think that in terms of branding/marketing it's best left to the professionals. Most in-house stuff is pretty awful.

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
observer3

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 5:07:33 PM »

How about non-branding issues, such as dealing with employees or restructuring?
expatinuk

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 6:12:42 PM »

How about non-branding issues, such as dealing with employees or restructuring?

No experience with outside folks for that. Personally I think that HE is so different from biz that unless you have HE experts do the job you're wasting your money.

It is what it is.
observer3

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 7:29:41 PM »

Yeah. I certainly wouldn't hire any myself!

I am asking because it is clear that some have been employed at our uni to facilitate Change. So far, Change looks kind of like making us into a corporation.

Familiar to anyone else? If so, we should combine stories. If not, you are very lucky. For now.
expatphd

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 5:32:37 AM »

Performance management?
observer3

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 5:36:47 AM »

Yes, I think that is one manifestation. I don't think that unis are openly declaring that they are hiring these guys. But we see the symptoms such as this one. So any info on the symptoms would be useful.
expatinuk

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

Performance management?

Actually, performance management (if done correctly) is pretty good. It's NOT a stick to hit anyone with, but it's to be used to set goals for the year. This enables the institution to do a decent job of resource management.

So, for example, you need to buy a particle accelerator for your research, then the uni knows how/if/when to budget for it.

It is what it is.
observer3

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:15 AM »

Sigh. I wish my uni were only using them in this way. Instead, we have robot managers enacting "change" using robotic management consultant speak to bully staff. It would make more sense if the goals were more transparent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: