• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:53:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The last week of class can bite me.  (Read 23656 times)
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2012, 4:39:41 PM »

It is the next step in your graduate career, and will let you focus on research, but also comes with additional responsibilities once you are no longer distracted by classes.  I expect my students with GRA funding to take a big step forward when this happens.

Be patient, you'll be there soon enough.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
daedalus
Does it matter that I'm a

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 8:32:02 PM »

Took my Advanced Basketweaving final today, which I thought was going to be a breeze. Two hours into the (three hour) exam, I'd only completed a little more than 1/3 of the necessary derivations.

Thankfully, the room was not reserved, and the prof graciously allowed extra time as needed when he saw how many people were struggling.  I caught my second wind sometime in that extra window and finished strong.

I consider it a karmic reward that upon leaving the exam, I got an email about my acceptance to NationalGroup's crash-course on Basketweaving Technology, so I can catch up to the rest of the lab I'll be working with this summer.

Don't borrow trouble and don't spend the weekend imagining the worst.
sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »

Took my Advanced Basketweaving final today, which I thought was going to be a breeze. Two hours into the (three hour) exam, I'd only completed a little more than 1/3 of the necessary derivations.

Thankfully, the room was not reserved, and the prof graciously allowed extra time as needed when he saw how many people were struggling.  I caught my second wind sometime in that extra window and finished strong.

I consider it a karmic reward that upon leaving the exam, I got an email about my acceptance to NationalGroup's crash-course on Basketweaving Technology, so I can catch up to the rest of the lab I'll be working with this summer.

Congrats!  I'm crossing my fingers on a summer crash-course thing too.  I already got rejected to a different one, but this one would be more educational.

"Persons of good sense, I have since observed, seldom fall into [argument], except lawyers, university men, and men of all sorts that have been bred at Edinborough." -Benjamin Franklin
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »

I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend. I have done the laundry, my house is clean, I don't need any groceries, my friends are busy, and a non-work-related project I'm working on is at a stage where I cannot do any more with it until another thing I ordered arrives in the mail (which probably won't arrive today).

I almost want the last week of class back... (Well, not really. But I'm bored. Maybe I'll go find some stuff about the fall classes to read.)

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
lohai0

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »

I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend. I have done the laundry, my house is clean, I don't need any groceries, my friends are busy, and a non-work-related project I'm working on is at a stage where I cannot do any more with it until another thing I ordered arrives in the mail (which probably won't arrive today).

I almost want the last week of class back... (Well, not really. But I'm bored. Maybe I'll go find some stuff about the fall classes to read.)

I have some work I can share if you are bored...

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

Hmm. Don't you work in some sort of math? You can keep that...

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
lohai0

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »

Hmm. Don't you work in some sort of math? You can keep that...

Math Ed.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »

I was thinking about making the same offer, as I sit and try to get updates done to my online notes to help the students study for their final next week.

These are lecuture notes in Internet security mechanisms and protocols.  There is math involved.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:39:56 PM by usukprof » Logged

wet_blanket
Some kind of

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2012, 1:05:34 PM »

My house is not clean and I am doing laundry, but otherwise, I am spending the weekend watching TV.  I am also making a list of hobby-like things to take up over the summer (which is not to be confused with actually doing half those things).

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2012, 1:09:28 PM »

I am spending the weekend watching TV.

This sounds like a good idea. I don't have cable, but I might see if I can get all the episodes of Mad Med that I haven't seen yet off iTunes.

wet_blanket
Some kind of

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2012, 1:13:47 PM »

This sounds like a good idea. I don't have cable, but I might see if I can get all the episodes of Mad Med that I haven't seen yet off iTunes.

I don't actually have a TV.  If you have a prime Amazon membership, a lot of their instant videos are free.

usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2012, 1:14:17 PM »

I'm about to suspend work and spend the rest of the afternoon on very-overdue gardening and planting before the 1st BBQ of the season tonight.  The updated lecture notes will have to wait until tonight or early tomorrow morning.

rose_fingered_dawn

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2012, 2:23:21 PM »

I got done on Monday and have been extremely unproductive since then. The plan was to start working my quals immediately because I'm writing my first set of exams in August, and even though I'm attempting them a year early, I really want to pass them. But all I have done is daydreamed and wasted time. Arghh. Worse, my friends are posting on facebook about all their massive productivity and how much they are reading now that classes are no longer distracting them. At least I've rearranged all my furniture and set myself up a nicer workspace and have cleared up all my laundry and junk. I am giving myself this weekend off to finish my grading, and then starting Monday I'm going to get back on the 10-hour a day train I had planned for myself. The trouble will be finding the motivation to slog through all that material when my desk faces out onto a quad and downtown and lovely, lovely trees and green areas. How I want to be outside swimming and running and walking other people's dogs, and not inside studying.

Such little time till the exams!
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2012, 8:34:40 PM »

I don't actually have a TV.  If you have a prime Amazon membership, a lot of their instant videos are free.

if you don't, you should.  It's a free perk for the first year if you register with them as a student.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
wet_blanket
Some kind of

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2012, 8:49:41 PM »

if you don't, you should.  It's a free perk for the first year if you register with them as a student.

And discounted the following year.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: