• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:33:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The last week of class can bite me.  (Read 23649 times)
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2012, 9:19:59 PM »

This is more or less my last week (my only final happens in 8 days) but I am seriously falling apart here and don't feel like I'm going to make it.

Hold it together. Talk to your advisor.

+1. You can do it, Ptarmigan. Talking your advisor is always a good idea -- I've had a couple of I-can't-do-this-and-I-will-fail moments this semester, and my advisor has been helpful in convincing me that that probably won't happen (along with suggesting ways that I can make sure that it doesn't happen).

Lucky.  My advisor wants nothing to do with my academics.

You should get another advisor.  Are you doing a thesis?  If so, this sounds very bad.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2012, 9:34:20 PM »

This is more or less my last week (my only final happens in 8 days) but I am seriously falling apart here and don't feel like I'm going to make it.

+1. You can do it, Ptarmigan. Talking your advisor is always a good idea -- I've had a couple of I-can't-do-this-and-I-will-fail moments this semester, and my advisor has been helpful in convincing me that that probably won't happen (along with suggesting ways that I can make sure that it doesn't happen).

This person is my academic/program advisor, not my research advisor. I have many advisors who have different roles. I probably wouldn't talk to my PI about classes.

Do you have someone who helps you co-ordinate your classes and credits to meet department requirements etc.?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2012, 9:41:35 PM »

Interesting.  I'm a full-service advisor and expect my thesis advisees to come to me with any of the problems they have.

lohai0

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 9:52:36 PM »

This person is my academic/program advisor, not my research advisor. I have many advisors who have different roles. I probably wouldn't talk to my PI about classes.

Do you have someone who helps you co-ordinate your classes and credits to meet department requirements etc.?

We start with a general advisor who we have until we form a comp committee. Then we "choose" a dissertation chair and they take over from there. However, there is a unique solution for the order to take classes, so our chairs are very hands off with coursework.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »

I think it might depend on what stage in a program students are in. I just finished my first year, so things were pretty general -- I don't think some of the advisors continue to be advisors once students have joined labs etc. Some advisors are better than others here -- I know some of my classmates have had trouble getting actual advice from theirs, whereas I've been really lucky with mine as she seems to have a solution for anything. Once my committee is finalized they will be the people I will discuss things with.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »

But once you have a dissertation advisor, s/he ought to be someone with whom you have a very good relationship and can discuss (and solve) all sorts of academic problems.

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »

OK, yes, but in my case my PI hasn't had anyone in his lab from my program before, and I've already taken the only classes I'll take that are directly relevant to my project. My current program advisor, on the other hand, is very involved with the classes, so it would make more sense to talk to her about those (I think my PI wants her on my committee). It's not that I expect to feel that I cannot talk to my PI about all academic problems, I just don't think he will always be the best person to talk to. When it comes to research, the qualifying exam that involves writing and defending a proposal etc., of course I'll be talking to my PI about that.

merce
strange attractor

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »

Fvck having the last week (which is turning into 2 weeks)
bite me.
I'm biting it.
snarl

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:27 AM »

It's not over, and I'm having too many good-bye lunches.

Taste o' the Sixties
sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 1:18:59 AM »

My advisor is technically both my academic and research advisor, but doesn't want to be involved in my academics because advisor's primary appointment is not in my department.

"Persons of good sense, I have since observed, seldom fall into [argument], except lawyers, university men, and men of all sorts that have been bred at Edinborough." -Benjamin Franklin
scampster

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 4:38:42 AM »

My advisor is technically both my academic and research advisor, but doesn't want to be involved in my academics because advisor's primary appointment is not in my department.

Yeah, I could see that. Whatever advice he could give you might not be relevant and might be more confusing (or wrong). That being said, I think the only time I ever went to my advisor with academic issues was when it was about his course or when I was trying to decide which courses to take that would best help my research. Students ahead of me in the program were generally the best sources of information on academic-related things.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2012, 9:51:37 AM »

Agreed, and I will frequently advise students to also talk to their peers, and sometimes (assuming they are generic and not private) we will discuss these things at my weekly research group meetings among the students.  I was making a more general statement that one of the roles of a dissertation advisor is to help their students through all aspects of their program, including managing time and stress.  I did this recently with one of my newer PhD students that was feeling overwhelmed and having difficulty multiplexing courses, research, and TA activities.

sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »

Yeah, I could see that. Whatever advice he could give you might not be relevant and might be more confusing (or wrong). That being said, I think the only time I ever went to my advisor with academic issues was when it was about his course or when I was trying to decide which courses to take that would best help my research. Students ahead of me in the program were generally the best sources of information on academic-related things.

That's pretty much how I'm making my academic decisions now as well.  Other than that minor aspect, I'm very pleased with my advisor.

"Persons of good sense, I have since observed, seldom fall into [argument], except lawyers, university men, and men of all sorts that have been bred at Edinborough." -Benjamin Franklin
scampster

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

That's pretty much how I'm making my academic decisions now as well.  Other than that minor aspect, I'm very pleased with my advisor.

And fortunately, once you are beyond coursework (i.e. most of your degree), you won't have to worry about that!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 3:06:05 PM »

And fortunately, once you are beyond coursework (i.e. most of your degree), you won't have to worry about that!

I'm quite envious of the more senior graduate students in my lab who are done with classes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: