• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 4:19:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the fly-out  (Read 5276 times)
bigfatsouthernu

« on: April 19, 2012, 11:47:53 PM »

Hello.  I used to work in management, then became an academic.  I am now an assoc prof, but am under consideration for two positions with tenured faculty appointments and administrative roles (e.g., department head and institute building type roles).  I have fly-outs for both positions.  I've been on a sea of academic search committees and have a significant amount of campus and departmental service experience (and the previous management experience, but out of higher ed), but still find myself a bit uncertain as I prepare for these interviews.  I would appreciate any advice on the following:

--tell me about the nature/type of exchange to expect in the meetings with the provost and Deans
--both job talks are partial research and partial background on admin/leadership.  Any advice on pitfalls or esp effective practices for this component?
--interacting with the interim

I realize the questions are very broad, but I'm open to any perspectives.  Thank you in advance.
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »

There are several posts that deal with this, and have dealt with it recently -- you might want to check out the Deans/dept chair thread.  Here is one to start with:  http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,87565.0.html

If you interact with the interim, recognize that he or she might be your competition.  A good school won't have you interact with your competition, but there are many schools who aren't cautious in this matter.

Those are a few random thoughts that come to mind -- hope they help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: