• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 10:11:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how much time to consider offer?  (Read 5846 times)
dante

« on: April 19, 2012, 5:15:53 PM »

I am interviewing soon for a job in the UK while waiting for responses about two other jobs / grants (which may be up to a two-month wait) and am wondering how much thinking-it-over time it's reasonable to ask for before accepting / declining a job offer. I heard elsewhere that UK departments can make offers right after the interview, so I thought I should be prepared. Please share your collective wisdom on this.
the_walrus

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 2:35:30 AM »

Here, we standardly offer a week, but are hesitant to give more than that.  We do in exceptional cases, but don't like doing it.
britmom
I'm a grant getting
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 5:54:18 AM »

Here, we standardly offer a week, but are hesitant to give more than that.  We do in exceptional cases, but don't like doing it.

Same here.

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
dante

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 8:56:00 AM »

That's worrying, given my situation. And is it indeed common in the UK to receive an offer right after the interview, as I have been told?
monsterx

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 9:04:29 AM »

That's worrying, given my situation. And is it indeed common in the UK to receive an offer right after the interview, as I have been told?

It is indeed usual.  Unless you're a 2nd or 3rd choice, but still considered suitable.  If they each get a week to decide, you'll get an answer after a significant delay.  So you'll want to interview well enough to be considered suitable for the position, but not so well that you're in first place, but only if the first place candidate is sure to not accept, because in that case, you'll want to come in first instead...
the_walrus

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 9:35:41 AM »

I can't really imagine there being a scenario at our place where we would be willing to wait 2 months for an answer.  Possibly for a professor level appointment, but I really think it's highly unlikely for anything below that level, and possibly even for that level too.  2 or 3 weeks, maybe.  But only if we really, really wanted you.  Otherwise, I think we'd tell you to fly a kite.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 9:36:21 AM by the_walrus » Logged
the_walrus

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 9:38:30 AM »

And yes, same for us.  We generally make the offer right away.
scotia

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 9:54:59 AM »

And yes, same for us.  We generally make the offer right away.

Exceptionally we may take a couple of weeks to offer, but only if we are waiting to interview other candidates.

You will be lucky to get much more than a week to consider: if you turn us down we will need to move quickly to our second choice. Often UK jobs are advertised because someone has resigned and we need someone in place - particularly at this time of the year - for teaching in September/October. As others  have said, only a hotshot professor would have 2 months. Apart from anything else, we want to know that you are fully committed to us, not that we are a fallback if grants don't come through.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 9:57:13 AM »

I can't imagine that any hiring institution, in any field, in or out of academia, would EVER give an applicant two months to accept or decline an offer. That is a long, long, long time.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
hunterwali

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 2:26:59 PM »

I'm just adding to what the others have said. Typically, an offer is made within 24 hours (unless one is waiting on the response of another candidate) and an answer is expected within a week. I'm also wondering if the REF may affect this in any way, but am sorry I brought it up. But two months? Nope.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: