• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:45:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gust Kuwait Position  (Read 8401 times)
artist275

« on: July 09, 2012, 6:22:47 AM »

I have recently been offered a position at GUST (Gulf University of Science and Technology) in Kuwait. I am an assistant professor.

Any thoughts about the place? the politics? the quality of the students? Pressure from administration to change student grades?... I heard that there are usually pressures from students' families to bump up student grades, but some colleges do not support this but others do.

I would like to get your insights about the quality of working life at the University.
wanderingaround

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 3:09:30 PM »

I have a few friends working there. My current knowledge is that it should be a decent school according to Middle East standards. The management is American. They have sensible faculty development policies. I heard that they do not hesitate to expel students for bad behavior. There is always some level of pressure on grades anywhere in the Middle East; you need to adjust the level of difficulty of you classes to the student population. But from what I hear, one colleague was failing about 10% of the class each semester and the management was not interfering at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: