• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:32:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a recommendation for an online sign up sheet  (Read 5645 times)
_touchedbyanoodle_
is not worthy of a moniker resurrection.
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: April 19, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »

I could use a recommendation!

I would like to create a sign up sheet for online students who will be selecting topics. I have a set list and only one student may sign up for each topic. I'd like something that works like youcanbook.me, but I don't need students to sign up for times, just topics.

Normally, I would just use a Google Doc, but our LMS is not compatible with Chrome (and the problems are getting worse, not better). I don't want to steer them away from Chrome only to spring a Google Doc on them, which actually works best in Chrome.

So... online sign ups for topics? Anybody know the magic trick? Thanks! It probably goes without saying, but no, my LMS does not have this feature.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 2:42:16 AM »

Doesn't your LMS have a wiki or blog or something else that you could set up to be accessed by a group (and then define the group as everyone in the class)?

Or what about using a discussion board? In your prompt you can have the list of topics and instructions for how to sign up. Basically, have each student WRITE THEIR TOPIC IN THE SUBJECT LINE and it's first-come, first serve. Put the settings so that students cannot reply to each others' post (because there's no use for that and it would just allow it to get jumbled or nested).

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
degal
can a lurker actually be a

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »

You might try the free version of Survey Monkey if you have fewer than 100 students who need to sign up for a topic.
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 5:26:36 PM »

Google docs works on Firefox. It may be marginally better in Chrome, but not so much so that it matters that much for a signup sheet.

Of course, vendors whose products work poorly with Chrome are vendors I'd rather not do business with, but I don't get to make those decisions.
abitatd

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »

Try this... http://www.mysignup.com

I've used for all sorts of sign-up sheets...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: