• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 9:22:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are teaching demonstrations expected to be high tech?  (Read 6523 times)
oldadjunct
Distinguished Senior Member

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 9:57:29 PM »

And if technology is mentioned in the posting it is safe, though not guaranteed, to assume that the institution has invested significant money in the classrooms for reliable systems.  This is 2012 after all, so I have to doubt schools are kidding themselves about their technology resources the way they were in say 1999.

Clearly, you are not interviewing at the places I interviewed this season.  Some of those schools were definitely kidding themselves about their technology resources, unless they were of the "whiteboards are technically technology" persuasion.

Gratefully, I don't interview anymore.  If I did I would be prepared for both contingencies.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
westcoastgirl

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 1:17:41 PM »

I've done both--these days, though, I've been told that students almost expect some sort of glitzy technology. In the real classroom, I don't use a whole lot of technology; if one is not careful, technology can start to be seen as a substitute for the instructor.

That said, I almost always prepare ppt for job talks. Aside from having my ppt on my own laptop and lacie key, I always send it to one of my very generic emails (one that is used for spam and buying stuff online). More than once, I've had to open ppts on random computers and my nightmare is that my password automatically gets saved or that some "inappropriate" email pops up while I'm digging around trying to open the ppt. During my last job talk, I couldn't even figure out how to log out of my generic email and there was slight pressure for me to speed things up. I just handed the computer back to the owner because there were about 2 mails in the inbox from Nordstrom or some nonsense. 

Disclaimer: In reality, I don't have anything remotely inappropriate or eye-brow raising in my inbox. Nothing juicy, I'm afraid, either. Still, you never know how the most innocuous thing would be construed. I am also a non-deleter, so I have years and years of emails in my inbox/sent box.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
mrs_sunshine

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 8:55:16 AM »

Just an update: I got the job! Apparently, my non-techie teaching presentation worked!

I was clear about how I could/would add technology to the lesson and I gave them some examples of variations I might use. Guess that was good enough for my school. Yay! :)
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 9:45:53 AM »

That's great, Mrs_Sunshine!

Will we be seeing you on the 2012 TT cohort thread?

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: