• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: PhD Graduation Issues  (Read 13968 times)
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 2:44:58 PM »

Update:

I found a much cheaper price for the regalia (a bit more than $100) and sprang for it.  I'm doing the graduation thing now, though only my department's ceremony.

I am glad that you found a way to celebrate that makes you happy! Congratulations!!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 8:34:07 PM »

Update:

I found a much cheaper price for the regalia (a bit more than $100) and sprang for it.  I'm doing the graduation thing now, though only my department's ceremony.

I am glad that you found a way to celebrate that makes you happy! Congratulations!!

+1! That's great, BCohlan1.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 9:27:47 PM »

The PhD gown? Aren't they all color coordinated?

In the U.S., the standard doctor-of-philosophy robe is black with black or blue chevrons. The standard tam is black, and the hood has school and disciplinary colors in the trim. However, many institutions have developed custom versions of the gowns (and, less frequently, the tams) in their school colors. Somehow, this multiplies the cost about eightfold ... gee, wonder why.

My robe is green, and since I have a DSc from an engineering school rather than a PhD, my hood is primarily orange rahter than blue.  Needless to say, I don't blend in at my current instution, whose robes are black puncuated only by the occasional faculty member wearing their school's custom colours.

It is well known within my family that I saw the fancy velvet tam during my Master's commencement and said:

"How do I get one of those blue velvet hats?"

What a delightful reason to go for a PhD!

I'd like to think of you as a fancy bird, doing your best to attract the gaze of onlookers.

Perhaps there is a young baleful in the audience who says "Hey! How do I get one of those fancy get ups?"

I think I might wear the tam everywhere for about six months post degree. Hey, maybe we can all start showing up to teach class in robes and tams.

Again I say, I am all-in for regalia.

Wow.  Hopefully they won't be a bashful baleful and will come up and ask.

It is kind of fun for those of us not in boring black to wander around and chat with one-another about from which institution the colours are from.  I wish my university would ditch the boring black and go with the dramatic robes the marshalls get for everyone.

I do wear my robes on Halloween as we go around the neighbourhood with our kids; green and orange is very seasonal.  And one day I wore them into my research institute on Halloween, but I've never taught in them.  I do think it would be fun to have the occasional mixer in robes following the old British traditions.  I think some of the ancient universities still do this in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 9:30:44 PM by usukprof » Logged

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »

I wore my tam and gown on Halloween one year (2008?) when I was going as the Electoral College. I colored all the states red or blue and stuck them to the left or right side of my shirt, naturally. Swing states I left uncolored and attached to my tie.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
slightlylargerzombie

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »

I am wearing my decaying flesh jerkin, with a cap of the finest bladder.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: