• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:30:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Service? What Service?  (Read 8318 times)
hulkhogan

« on: April 17, 2012, 3:01:16 PM »

A mass email was sent out on our campus recently, asking faculty members for their interest in joining a subcommittee of the committee on committees. I looked down at my tie, and it seems it has begun to curl upward a little.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 3:09:42 PM »

You must take advantage of this incredible career advancement opportunity immediately.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 5:03:51 PM »

Yes, don't just respond to the email; run to the appropriate office and beg to be put on this subcommittee.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 5:45:12 PM »

A tattoo may be required.  Don't balk; the discomfort is brief and can hardly be called "pain."  It's worth it.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
lizzy
a person who likes to believe that what comes around goes around and a

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 5:55:19 PM »

At my place there's brandings. And a secret handshake.

I'm told it's totally worth it.

I get cranky in the evenings.
yellowtractor

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 5:57:46 PM »

Are the brandings figurative, or more freehand, AbEx?  Any particular location?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 5:58:07 PM by yellowtractor » Logged

lizzy
a person who likes to believe that what comes around goes around and a

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 6:17:18 PM »

Are the brandings figurative, or more freehand, AbEx?  Any particular location?

I understand that they're done with a red hot iron; the design is super-secret, but rumored to date back to the days of the monastic university. Either that, or the village blacksmith.

The location is also super-secret. But persons rumored to be on the committee never sit down...

I get cranky in the evenings.
cranefly

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 6:27:11 PM »

Ah, this is like those meetings we have to decide when we should have our next meeting.

Oh yeah--Professor Sparkle Pony. "Follow your dreams, young genius, and you will meet with success!" Students eat that up.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 6:29:47 PM »

I would join just so I could try to make a subcommittee of the subcommittee into a joint subcommittee in conjunction with a different committee from across campus.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
yellowtractor

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 6:32:45 PM »

I would join just so I could try to make a subcommittee of the subcommittee into a joint subcommittee in conjunction with a different committee from across campus.

That requires a piercing and an appliance, not a brand or tattoo.

usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »

Only if I could be the tertiary assistant undersecretary to the associate vice-chair.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
mookie

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 7:38:39 PM »

RIDICULOUS!
I laughed pretty hard at this thread!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: