• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:56:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: job offer in Auckland NZ  (Read 9406 times)
jawnbc

« on: April 17, 2012, 2:33:07 PM »

Having planned on retiring to NZ I was pleasantly surprised to be shortlisted for a role at a major research-intensive university. And gobsmacked to get the offer! Contrary to what other threads in here show--which, to be fair, are dated/expired--there was an element of negotiating aspects of the appointment.

So here's what i learnt through the process:

• The level at which you come in is critical, since it's the biggest driver of salary
  • Variable Supplementary Payments (VSPs), however, are where negotiated salary adjustments are made
  • "Allowances" are just extra salary
  • Most major universities' faculty and staff are covered by Tertiary Educationl Union collective agreements, most of whi]ch can be downloaded in full from http://teu.ac.nz/collective-agreements/
[/list

The level of my appointment was determined by a committee--there was no wiggle room there. But I did negotiate a VSP that brought my salary to where I wanted it to be.  The uni won't cover all the fees associated with a permanent residence visa (only a "work to residence" visa), but they will pay for the entire overseas move. Which more than makes up for a few hundred dollars.

I've accepted the offer and am putting together my visa application. Having lived in multiple countries means more police clearances--fun! But NZ House in London advises the application, once complete, should take no more than 1-3 months to process. My start date is mid-August or later, so that's all good too.

Kiwi Kwestions
I've previousely worked in higher ed in Australia and Canada, but not in NZ. So I had a few random questions if there are any Kiwis poking about in here:

• Do NZ unis close over Christmas beyond the public holidays (Xmas/Boxing/2 NY's Days), or are we expected to use annual leave time to enjoy the break
  • Any experience with PHOs?
  • What premiums approximately might one pay for supplemental health and dentail insurance, since the uni doesn't seem to pay anything towards these>
  • Where's the best flat white in Auckland? ;) 

Cheers!

J[/list]
wet_blanket
Some kind of
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 8:27:41 PM »

Do NZ unis close over Christmas beyond the public holidays (Xmas/Boxing/2 NY's Days), or are we expected to use annual leave time to enjoy the break

Yes to both.  That is, the uni will be closed from Dec 24-Jan 2 inclusive.  Dec 25, Dec 26, Jan 1, and Jan 2 are public holidays.  If those days fall on weekends, you get the following Monday/Monday and Tuesday as public holidays instead.  So you will have to use three days annual leave during that period.  In practice, you'll probably want to take an extra week or two.

Any experience with PHOs?[/li][/list]

Depends what type of visa you're on whether it's worth joining one.  Their economic advantage to the consumer comes from a subsidy they receive from the government. Most likely your visa allows you access to the health system and therefore entitlement to join a PHO.  A PHO typically has several practices (i.e. several different businesses each of which is likely to have a range of health services) and it is at this level that variation in quality happens.  That is, several practices serving a geographic area are likely to have formed a PHO, but Practice A is better (by whatever measure) than Practice B.  So ask around for recommendations of either doctors or practices, not PHOs.  But, the most popular doctors/practices may not be taking new patients.  Depending on your health needs, you can then either join the waiting list to be enrolled with that practice or enroll elsewhere in the same or a different PHO. 

You don't have to join a PHO and you'll have no problem getting appointments etc if you don't, but you probably won't get to see the same doctor each time and you'll pay more.

What premiums approximately might one pay for supplemental health and dentail insurance, since the uni doesn't seem to pay anything towards these.

No idea.  Health benefits through employment are not at all the norm in New Zealand.  Google should be able to help you, though. 

Where's the best flat white in Auckland? ;) 

Adaptation like that will take you far!  I'm not from Auckland but coffee in New Zealand is almost always good.  If there's a place that does it badly you'll quickly hear about it.

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
jawnbc

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »

Thanks for the replies! At my current uni professional staff and faculty don't have to take annual leave time over  the holiday break. Which makes it an extra week of leave, really. Gonna miss that.

I'll have a residency visa most likely; certainly a work-to-residence once, so I'll be entitled to access the public system and PHOs. I've got some strong community connections in Auckland related to HIV/gay men's health, so hopefully those will, uh, bear fruit?  ;)

Google has failed on the "private cover" hard numbers. I'm not inclined to go that route, though I hear scary stories about NZ dental care costs. Will max those benefits out before I leave for sure.

And I have had a few awful flat whites in Auckland :)
wet_blanket
Some kind of
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »

Sorry that google let you down.  The only company I know is Southern Cross; I imagine their premiums and coverage are comparable to other companies.

Really you need to go to Wellington to get reliably good coffee, but I was trying not to let my prejudices show.

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: