• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: faculty terrorist  (Read 48384 times)
mended_drum
Potnia theron and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 5:59:50 PM »

When you get tightly wrapped up someone else's crazy, feelings of anger and sympathy can go back and forth in a way that is dizzying. On the one hand you can't help but see that they are a fellow human being, and hurting, and driven by compulsions that they never asked to have. On the other hand OMG I AM SO SICK OF YOUR SH1T. The longer a situation continues the less the sympathy.

Larryc, you have perfectly accurately described my relationship with one of my colleagues.  I might have to print this out and keep it in my desk drawer for when I need perspective.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
instructorman

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

Can you give us more specifics about why this person is so bad?  I hear some really strong language (faculty terrorist?) but don't see what it is exactly this person does.

God forbid someone challenge a hegemonic collective. 
writingprof

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 8:24:13 AM »

God forbid someone challenge a hegemonic collective. 

That's actually what our faculty terrorist yelled right before he blew himself up.
joeboy

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 4:22:16 AM »

I have a reverse problem. I have a dept chair who demands that I use bad teaching methods that I know that will result in bad evaluations because I have asked the students and they don't like them.  What can one do. Talking with him is like talking with Ahmadinejad.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 9:04:11 AM by moderator » Logged
untenured
On far too many committees
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 9:27:46 AM »

I have a reverse problem. I have a dept chair who demands that I use bad teaching methods that I know that will result in bad evaluations because I have asked the students and they don't like them.  What can one do. Talking with him is like talking with Ahmadinejad.

Can you nod your head when speaking with the chair and use your preferred teaching methods anyway?

If not, can you make it blatantly obvious to your students that this teaching method is being forced on you and align yourselves with the students against the method?  That way it's you and them versus 'the administration'.  Periodically, slip in your own teaching method and foster gratitude from the students.  This may partially insulate your from bad evals.

Quote from: kedves link=topic=56697.msg1152543#msg1152543
You are among the Pure and Truthful, however small their Number.
My goodness, that was an exceptionally good analysis of the forum.
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 7:04:46 AM »

I gotta ask, when did these students complete their education degrees?  Are we here to teach or appease?  There are a lot of good reasons not to adopt a particular teaching method, but simply because students don't like it could result in courses filled with video games and no exams. 

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: