• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:21:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Should all higher education be private?  (Read 66696 times)
polly_mer
practice makes perfect
Distinguished Senior Member

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »

Isn't this a discussion board and not a dissertation review?

Yes.  Thanks for pointing that out for the other newbies who failed on that conclusion.

We are happy to discuss but we have to have a set-up to discuss.  Unlike in the classroom or at a dissertation review, we can decide to go do something else or discuss something that does interest us. 

Newbies who start threads seem to not realize that, while they haven't had the discussion on a fascinating topic, many of us have discussed the broad subjects roughly 12389043217 times (slight exaggeration, but most topics of interest to newbies are discussed at a minimum of quarterly).  Insisting that a one-liner or one link sets up the discussion and getting huffy is the equivalent of walking into an all-day meeting five hours late and insisting that the meeting started when you began.  Nope, we've already had the discussion; if you have something new to add or want to revisit a particular set of points, then that's the place we can start when you join us if you tell us more than a one-liner.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
foresight

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »

Yes.  Thanks for pointing that out for the other newbies who failed on that conclusion.

We are happy to discuss but we have to have a set-up to discuss.  Unlike in the classroom or at a dissertation review, we can decide to go do something else or discuss something that does interest us. 

Newbies who start threads seem to not realize that, while they haven't had the discussion on a fascinating topic, many of us have discussed the broad subjects roughly 12389043217 times (slight exaggeration, but most topics of interest to newbies are discussed at a minimum of quarterly).  Insisting that a one-liner or one link sets up the discussion and getting huffy is the equivalent of walking into an all-day meeting five hours late and insisting that the meeting started when you began.  Nope, we've already had the discussion; if you have something new to add or want to revisit a particular set of points, then that's the place we can start when you join us if you tell us more than a one-liner.

Do you own the Chronicle of Higher Education? Are you employed as prosecutor, judge and jury of the forums of the Chronicle of Higher Education? Just what higher being empowers you to believe you control this site?
vincentm

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 12:04:59 AM »

End the inefficiencies, state and federal support directly to students, the student decide where the best value is for their education. Is this the future of higher ed?

I am not sure about should, but it WILL be ....... just a matter of time.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 1:16:21 AM »

Um, no.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 7:46:29 AM »

Do you own the Chronicle of Higher Education? Are you employed as prosecutor, judge and jury of the forums of the Chronicle of Higher Education? Just what higher being empowers you to believe you control this site?

I'm not exerting any kind of control.  I am informing you about why this thread and others like it go as they do.  Whether you want to use that information or not is up to you, but that is the explanation.  Being rude to me doesn't change the reaction of the people who frequent this site and have for years.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
davidluceyesq1

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 6:04:52 PM »

Simply to say the answer is NO. All the higher education may not be carried out only in private. Government provides any education for scholarship, the tuition fees are less when compared to private. May be the facilities provided in private education is more when compare to the public education. It depends on students whether to take only private edutcation or not.
wholesale123

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 6:53:58 PM »

Hi. Friends this is Avinash Rudrakar: privatization of higher education is good for some areas and also bad. By privatization no doubt the education system quality improves in our country, it helps in growing the nation in faster time but analyzing our Indian economic condition for all public its not easy and no possible to pay the high amount of fees for collages.

The privatization is best way if:.
* the government gives 50% seats to poor students.
* the collage gives some free seats to distinction students.
* the govt. Provides seats as well as more fund to minor students and backward students.
* the collage gives free seats to all students and take the over all fund by govt.
rock_in_the_road

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2012, 3:33:34 PM »

* the govt. Provides seats as well as more fund to minor students and backward students.

Provide seats??? Can you just turn a chair around for the backward students?
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2012, 9:04:32 PM »

Some of my students are distinctly minor, but I don't necessarily blame the government for where they're sitting.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »

My students all get to pick their seats.

[Back to Posting while Plastered for me.]

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
untenured
On far too many committees
Member-Moderator

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »

Why is this thread attracting so many newbies?  They can't all be socks.

Right?

Quote from: kedves link=topic=56697.msg1152543#msg1152543
You are among the Pure and Truthful, however small their Number.
My goodness, that was an exceptionally good analysis of the forum.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 8:57:59 AM »

Why is this thread attracting so many newbies?  They can't all be socks.

Right?

Well, they can all be socks; they could also be doing some kind of internet search to wind up here, give their one cent as they might at any random "comment on the article" site, and then disappear again.

oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2012, 3:30:20 PM »

Mostly the socks of one, maybe two, undergraduates.

Taste o' the Sixties
rock_in_the_road

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 4:48:50 PM »

Yes, I agree with everyone on this issue - public higher education has been on a severe decline for 30+ years. Administration at the public institutions are clueless as to how to handle a budget, resulting in the tuition increases that are 4 times the CPI over that period. This is exacerbated by the totally unchecked proliferation and misuse of tenure, resulting in the decline in learning from the majority of classes being instructed by TAs  and increase in costs  associated with this decrease in production. And yes, I agree with everyone that market forces will continue to act upon the public institutions, and in the future they will no longer be allowed to get fat feeding at the public trough by misdirecting and misusing public funds by not focusing 100% on the mission of educating the youth of this country. Yes, I agree with everyone that all higher education should be private.
citrine

Beware the Annoying Bad Luck Snail

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 5:47:47 PM »

But are you right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: