• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 12:43:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: iBooks Author  (Read 17499 times)
octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« on: April 05, 2012, 6:44:42 PM »

Anyone trying to use iBooks Author? I am. I would like to have others for problem solving, trading ideas and/or commiseration.

For example, today I just managed to create my first Gallery and insert four graphics (of my own making) into it. Yee. Hah.

Anyone? Anyone?

C'mon. You know you want to!

Love your neighbor.
eigen

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 8:15:40 PM »

I haven't started with it yet, but I'm looking into it thanks to your post.

It looks like it would be fantastic for making short "books" or booklets for classes that are easy to customize, and have just the information needed.

I'm also thinking they'd be great for making texts for lab classes, with the ability to easily add video files of procedures in addition to graphical and textual instructions.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 9:09:13 PM »

I agree with you, eigen. Keep us posted on what you try.

Today, I inserted an mp4 video into my first chapter. I'm a little afraid to test it on the iPad to see if it works...

Baby steps...

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 4:25:25 PM »

Baby steps...

Speaking of... I now have in chapter 1 (in addition to the text) a working MP4 movie (previously recorded by me for my online course), a review quiz (10 MC questions), a gallery (four graphics explaining some concepts), and a table.

I'm still struggling with the other graphics... I want to put them in as figures (not a Gallery of multiple images) but I haven't figured out how. If I past them as JPGs the text moves around them, but if I add to the text, the graphic doesn't stay where it should be in relation to the text, so I know there's a better (i.e. right) way to do this.

Love your neighbor.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 4:29:45 PM »

What about footnotes? Is it true that you cannot do footnotes?

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 5:15:45 PM »

What about footnotes? Is it true that you cannot do footnotes?

I haven't tried footnotes. I'm still trying to figure out figures....

I did search for "footnote" in the iBooks Author Help and found nothing.

Love your neighbor.
eigen

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »

I'm appreciating the updates, Octoprof.

I found this thread over on MacRumors which has some quite helpful tips and tricks.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »

I'm appreciating the updates, Octoprof.

I found this thread over on MacRumors which has some quite helpful tips and tricks.

Thanks! :o)

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 9:51:01 AM »

Just an update... I now have two complete chapters. I'm currently contemplating how to include homework. I think I'll make PDFs for each problem and link them so they'll be easily printable/accessible for my students. I'm waffling on this but I think they'll want to both have the problem in front of them (on paper) and also be able to look back through the text or play part of a demonstration video (all in the text on the iPad) simultaneously, so I hate to just insert the problems in the text at the end of the chapter like a traditional textbook.

Suggestions?

Love your neighbor.
eigen

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 3:31:57 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you suggesting PDFs for each problem, or PDFs for each problem set?

Seems like a separate PDF for each problem is overkill, but I think including the problem set as a whole as an attached PDF with bookmarks makes a lot of sense.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 3:37:48 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you suggesting PDFs for each problem, or PDFs for each problem set?

Seems like a separate PDF for each problem is overkill, but I think including the problem set as a whole as an attached PDF with bookmarks makes a lot of sense.

My plan for the demos is a PDF for each (demos are embedded in the book but they'll want the PDF to look at and/or to try the problem first themselves).

For homework, it'll probably be a set for each chapter, I think, as you suggest.

Love your neighbor.
eigen

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 5:07:54 PM »

Ah, makes more sense. Yeah, I like the idea.

And from what I understand, since you can export an iBook as a PDF, it should be easy to export the demo pages as separate PDFs for reference or for them to work through, right?
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 5:29:44 PM »

Ah, makes more sense. Yeah, I like the idea.

And from what I understand, since you can export an iBook as a PDF, it should be easy to export the demo pages as separate PDFs for reference or for them to work through, right?

The demos are embedded videos (demonstration videos) so won't be much use in a PDF.

I will make the demo problems (not the videos, but the problem worked in them, ie. the given info) available as a link they can print (for individual problems) and possibly just send them one big PDF with all of them at the beginning of the semester.

Love your neighbor.
bookishone

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 6:04:19 PM »

This sounds really interesting. I will check it out. Has anyone used it in class yet?

My tag line is false.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 7:54:45 PM »

This sounds really interesting. I will check it out. Has anyone used it in class yet?

I will be using the book I'm developing now during the Fall semester. My students will all have iPads.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 7:56:19 PM by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: