• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:03:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Dean for Chair  (Read 18673 times)
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« on: March 29, 2012, 4:57:35 PM »

I suspect that I already know the answer to this question,but, just in case, what should I prepare for my interview with the dean?  I thought I would come prepared to talk about my administrative philosophy, my vision, and have some specific examples of what I would hope to accomplish.

I am assuming that the dean will have had access to all my application materials, she already requested my CV before the search began, so I don't think I need to take those.

Am I missing anything?

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
polly_mer
practice makes perfect
Distinguished Senior Member

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 5:50:39 PM »

Have you prepared short statements on:

Why you are qualified to be chair?

Why these people should hire you to be chair?

What you are going to do in the top ten most common chair situations that have no clear solution?

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
skeptical

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:16:40 AM »

I was asked, what would be your priorities for your department?
tw1554

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 4:41:26 PM »

What you are going to do in the top ten most common chair situations that have no clear solution?

What are the top ten most common chair situations that have no clear solution?

swak,
tw
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 6:27:37 PM »

What are the top ten most common chair situations that have no clear solution?

swak,
tw

If I have to tell you, then you aren't ready to apply for a chair position.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
cc_and_grad

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 9:28:29 PM »

* What are you going to do about that pain the a**, Prof. X?
*Department enrollment is in the toilet, how are you going to get it to grow by 10% every year?
*We are eliminating 3 TT lines in the dept. next year because I need to remodel my office, how are you going to explain that this an "opportunity not a problem"?
*Don't you think the department teaching load is entirely too low?
*I have three awesome projects that are meaningless time sucks but will land me a provost's job in three years, how are you going to implement them (no extra money)?
*Do you love meetings more than life itself?

Sorry, I couldn't resist
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 1:04:53 AM »

Update:  The meeting with the dean went quite well and, interestingly enough, she did, in fact, ask what I was going to do about the department bully.  According to a third source, she felt the meeting went very well so, that one is behind me!

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 7:43:03 AM »

That's great, Bevo98!

biotech4u

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 2:15:16 PM »

Have you noticed how Polly_Mer and  voxprincipalis agree on so many topics. Such simpatico. I hope they do lunch!
scampster

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 2:38:19 PM »

Have you noticed how Polly_Mer and  voxprincipalis agree on so many topics. Such simpatico. I hope they do lunch!

Well, duh. They are the same person. We're all the same person.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 3:32:48 PM »

!!!

Dude. I'm not even on this thread. (And apologies to bevo98 for the derail, which I hope is fleeting.)

You seem to be trolling. You started by using some terminology that you knew some people would find offensive. You made a creepy comment to Tinyzombie. Now you are trying to stir something up here. Are you, perhaps, related to some other recently departed sockpuppets?

You have two choices: back down, or escalate and get banned. That is not a threat; it is merely a description of the consequences of continuing in the way in which you have begun.

VP
with sincere apologies to bevo98 for the derail

bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

No Problem vox!  I just sort of read what I like and ignore the rest anyway.  Ha! I think that's good preparation for the future. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: