• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blame Canada! Profs highest paid or is this misleading?  (Read 11553 times)
cranefly
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 8:39:03 AM »

This study really p'd me off, not least because of the "summer salary" of US in some fields.
1. Canadian salaries are 12-months.
2. Canadians cannot pay themselves from grants.
3. Private US institutions were taken out of the equation. We do not have privates in Canada, but the best public schools (UBC, U of T, McGill) stand up to the privates in the USA. Yet, these are instead compared to small undergrad teaching-only US schools?
4. We pay more taxes in Canada than US.
5. We have a MUCH higher cost of living in most areas, particularly when it comes to housing (national average house price in Canada is $360K. In USA I can't find the total average, but by region it ranges from $120K to the highest $226K).
6. The Canadian dollar has jumped in the past couple of years. If you did this 5 years ago the story would have been very different. If the dollar drops back down to historical norms, we're much lower in comparison to other places.

In other words, it's pretty hard to realistically compare salaries.

This really was just about public-sector bashing before the budgets came out this week.

Oh yeah--Professor Sparkle Pony. "Follow your dreams, young genius, and you will meet with success!" Students eat that up.
sugaree
shakin' it since 2007 and only a

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 2:57:17 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Cranefly - important points that get lost in the shuffle, especially with regard to the insane cost of living up here (I still can't get used to paying over $6/lb for butter after growing up in America's Dairyland).

It's not just public sector bashing, but also convenient timing for campuses currently negotiating new contracts. Sigh.

where's the bourbon?
anon99

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 4:49:00 PM »

(I still can't get used to paying over $6/lb for butter after growing up in America's Dairyland).

Probably fits better in the grocery thread, but where are you buying your butter?  I pay $3-4/lb at grocery stores out west.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 7:25:11 PM »

I'm in Montreal and butter runs about 5 dollars.

Cost of living is insane here, but we love the city and will be sad to leave. Even with all the added language BS with which we have to hope.

I'm certainly not seeing any of the faculty I know prance around in any fancy digs.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: