• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Professional Development?  (Read 19034 times)
westcoastgirl
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: March 23, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

I just received the appointment letter for my post-doc. I have a grant of X per year for "research, travel and professional development."

I'm wondering exactly what the latter means. Specifically, can some of this money be used toward technology? My husband just gave me his laptop (after mine died), but I am inclined to buy a desktop.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
kron3007

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 3:17:21 PM »

I would guess that professional development would refer to workshops or short courses.  I really doubt that it refers to buying a computer (although this may be able to go under the research category).
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 4:22:39 PM »

Workshops, courses, conferences, possibly professional memberships, possibly journal subscriptions and books. Best to ask what's covered and not.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
westcoastgirl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »

Thanks. I do appreciate the advice.

I will eventually ask for more information. I went ahead and posted here because I'm eyeing buying a desktop that seems to be reasonably priced but thought I'd wait if I had a tech budget. It doesn't matter much. I've written most of my diss on a CL desktop/monitor combo that I scored for about 100 bucks. It runs windows XP and works like charm. I'll probably drag that with me. I don't need nothing fancy.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
whynotevolve
Hoping not to win the Darwin award

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 2:15:14 PM »

I know of a case where 'professional development' money from a grant was used to purchase computers.  I am not sure if that was what that money was supposed to be for, but you could ask about it.  It never hurts.  Also, ask your PI to put up funds for a computer if the grant does not cover it.  You will need a computer for work and you should not have to pay for it out of your own pocket.  At the very least, they might be able to scrounge an old one up.
sagit
And... we're off!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 3:53:49 PM »

Exactly, your PI should be providing you with a computer.  Let him/her know that you would prefer a laptop because it would allow you to work more flexibly.  I bring mine to meeting and home with me so I can work all the time!  Maybe that's not what you want to do but I'm sure that's what your PI would like ;)  At work I connect my laptop to a normal Dell computer monitor so I can have more screen space (dual screens with laptop and desktop monitors).  If necessary, some of this could potentially be from the "research" part of that budget, I would think.

I like to think of the student as a mischievous badger.
brixton

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 4:17:38 PM »

Professional Development can also be used for journals and software at most place.  Never heard of it being used for computers, but I suppose if you put the software on the computer you're in business.

I've called the hours wasted on the fora professional development, but that's stretching it too...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: