• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:14:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast turn-around and ...  (Read 24997 times)
bash217

« on: March 15, 2012, 6:19:23 AM »

I'm looking for TT--my husband, for CC/SLAC teaching, totally different fields. Currently neither of us holds a desirable post.

Just a few days after the interview, I received a good TT offer, for the other side of the continent. However, my husband just finished an interview for a NTT full-time permanent teaching post (they said equivalent to TT) at an equally prestigious and exciting SLAC. Where we currently live. But they say their deadline for hiring is the end of April.

Rumor has it that HIS possible institution is quite happy to find things for spouses including TT, and he met a TT couple there. At my faraway TT job, spousal hires are uncommon (though there may be acceptable positions for him, if they could help). But...the end of April?

We definitely didn't mean for this to happen, but here we are. Could hassling his hu possibly help? We thought at the beginning of this week that his odds were much better than mine; now we're less confident about him getting an offer...but the universe seems to be acting up, in general. It seems like ages ago that we knew which career to prioritize, and now we're facing TT versus unnecessary relocation...

Anyone have a time-travel machine handy?
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Just killing time

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 9:53:17 AM »

We definitely didn't mean for this to happen, but here we are. Could hassling his hu possibly help?

I'm going to assume that "hassling his hu" means "contacting the search committee at the place he just interviewed," because that's what I would have put in that sentence. If it means something entirely different and just shows how out of touch I am with what all the cool hipster kids are saying these days, please ignore me. (Or "anti-hassle my hu," if that's the vernacular.)

Now that the comedy section of my post is finished, let's proceed to the advice section. I would definitely go ahead and contact them. Since the interview has concluded, we know that your husband is a finalist for the position (assuming this was a final interview) and quite possibly the preferred candidate at this point. I suggest contacting the committee chair to let them know about your offer situation and deadline, explaining that he would prefer to take the SLAC position, especially if a spousal hire was available. If they want your husband, they'll try to move things along to accommodate you. If they're proceeding slowly and deliberately through a field of candidates and have no preference, they'll extend their regrets.

Good luck!

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
fleabite

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

I'd say tenure-track trumps nontenure-track, being considerably harder to obtain. Plus, you actually have an offer. Since your husband is willing to go with CC or SLAC jobs, he will have more options than you will for finding satisfying work in a new location. In the long-term, the relocation is a minor hassle, given that you have the opportunity to practice the career for which you trained, and your spouse is likely to find possibilities in the new location.
bash217

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 1:13:42 AM »

Thanks, Madhatter and Fleabite. It's true that we cannot expect an offer to turn up for my husband, and the TT aspect is also pretty compelling. First I'm going to see if I can negotiate anything good with my offer for my husband, but ultimately I feel like I'd be stupid not to accept the offer.
bash217

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 8:37:52 AM »

Just to update and maybe give some hope to others:

Mr. Bash did not get the SLAC offer (and the interview stank), so I took the TT in faraway place. When I negotiated I spent some time explaining why and how any help for Mr. would be important for me, but I wasn't sure if anything would come up. Apparently connections were made. He had an interview for a very suitable position which he had missed the deadline to apply for earlier this year and got an offer. So we have jobs at the same place. After some years of bad luck, this is a total shock to us, but a very wonderful shock!
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 9:27:07 AM »

What a great outcome! You won the lottery. :)

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
bash217

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »

I truly feel like I did! We've been looking hard at Plans C and D after 3 years of meh... We feel very fortunate today!
bash217

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 8:40:32 AM »

Woohoo! Mr. Bash got his contract today. Mysteriously, there is no baggage and passage (when they said they would provide), or housing allowance. However I get both, anyway. And his pay is much better than we had expected, without negotiating!

Drinks all around!
brixton

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »

Congrats! 

(I'm not quite sure what you mean by baggage/passage/housing allowance unless this is an out-of-country job.  If so, those terms make much more sense.  Since the job was finagled, usually the extra perks don't materialize.  They know you want the job, and so they don't have to woo with desirables.  Since your job came with them, that's all that matters!)

Good work --
ruralguy
Super Duper Zillion Star Member

Full Prof; STEM; SLAC; Rural US

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 2:11:26 PM »

She made it seem like a US job since a SLAC job was mentioned for husband originally, which OP described as being
"on the other side of the continent" from her new offer. There are two other countries on the continent, and some smaller
ones nearby (and commonwealths of yet others), so I suppose the job could be in another country, but it didn't sound that
was originally.

I suspect OP just meant to say, using vernacular from another part of the world, that the university didn't acount for
moving expenses of any kind.
bash217

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »

I suspect OP just meant to say, using vernacular from another part of the world, that the university didn't acount for
moving expenses of any kind.

Yes, thanks. I have some moving expenses they will pay for, including a books allowance, and a very small allowance for the rest of my family. We were hoping he'd be eligible for the same, as mine won't cover an entire move.

But I agree, Brixton: We're not in a place to haggle over the little stuff at this point, and just really pleased that we'll both be doing jobs we'd like to do, on the same campus!
macncheese

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »

Yes, thanks. I have some moving expenses they will pay for, including a books allowance, and a very small allowance for the rest of my family. We were hoping he'd be eligible for the same, as mine won't cover an entire move.

My contract (a VAP at a SLAC) explicitly states the school's policy that some portion of moving expenses will be covered except when both members of a couple are being offered positions, in which case only one person's move will be paid for. The idea being, I assume, that if you share a household, you will share moving expenses, and so you shouldn't need twice the money (although it'd be nice!). My point isn't that you couldn't use the money, but that I think this arrangement is pretty standard, and unless you explicitly discussed something different with the school, you shouldn't take it as reflecting negatively on them.
bash217

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 4:00:57 AM »

We didn't really expect double moving expenses, but the initial offer they sent Mr. Bash stated they would provide for his books, etc., which is not included in the "spouse" allowance provided in mine. And compared to other relocation allowances for intercontinental moves I've received in the past, it is quite a small allowance either way. In any case, he double checked, and they have added another suitcase worth, so it's a great success all around. Definitely nothing to squabble about, in the long run! All smiles in the Bash household (that is, when we're not in a zombie trance from moving details...).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: