• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:35:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: When will Spring be sprung?  (Read 110640 times)
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 1:25:29 PM »

Yeah, but it's still not very exciting.

Scotland? Or the weather?

Buffalo and a big area to the south had almost a foot of snow yesterday. 

British weather is so boring.

You definitely need a job in Scotland. Last snow in the middle of May; first frost in the first week of September; ski slopes within half an hour of some universities ;-)

Apart from possibly the Cairngorms and UHI, I am struggling to find another university 30 mins from a ski slope unless you are counting Hillend (dry slope) as a ski slope or have a private helicopter. 90 minutes would give you a few.......
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 1:36:16 PM »

You definitely need a job in Scotland. Last snow in the middle of May; first frost in the first week of September; ski slopes within half an hour of some universities ;-)

Apart from possibly the Cairngorms and UHI, I am struggling to find another university 30 mins from a ski slope unless you are counting Hillend (dry slope) as a ski slope or have a private helicopter. 90 minutes would give you a few.......

A friend of WH's who's ex-Dundee and still lives in the city claims his front door to on the slopes at Glenshee in 45 minutes. Mind you, I've heard stories about his driving...
scotia

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 2:52:20 PM »

A friend of WH's who's ex-Dundee and still lives in the city claims his front door to on the slopes at Glenshee in 45 minutes. Mind you, I've heard stories about his driving...

He must have friends on assorted local constabularies. Or a helicopter.
wegie

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2012, 9:00:47 AM »

It has not rained for four whole hours.

Alas, I don't think this will be setting a precedent.
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2012, 5:13:24 PM »

<smiles from sunny and warm Vienna>

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
wegie

« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2012, 6:23:55 PM »

<adds Ex Lax to S_E's half litre of helles whilst she isn't looking>
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

don't forget to go to Stephansplatz and have a wurst before you leave (it's a tradition and means you'll return to Wien).

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
science_expat

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »

don't forget to go to Stephansplatz and have a wurst before you leave (it's a tradition and means you'll return to Wien).

Thanks. Lots of traditions around this conference - including getting completely rat arsed at conveners' party on the Friday night....

Hair of the dog time!

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
science_expat

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2012, 5:30:44 AM »

Lovely day here though a bit on the cool side.

On a side note, I love living in a country where a complete stranger helps you carry a large box to your car and where you can get codeine over the counter.

expatinuk

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »

On a side note, I love living in a country where a complete stranger helps you carry a large box to your car and where you can get codeine over the counter.

I used to live in NYC where a complete stranger would help you carry a large box to your car, then steal your car. You could also get cocaine on the street corner.

It is what it is.
science_expat

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2012, 5:14:32 PM »

I used to live in NYC where a complete stranger would help you carry a large box to your car, then steal your car. You could also get cocaine on the street corner.

Sure, but at 1.69 for 32 tablets I reckon the codeine is cheaper.

And I still have my car...

scotia

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »

I had to drive to another station to get my season ticket today. Apart from getting sleeted on, I drove along a section of road with snow lying in the edge against a wall. Someone needs to tell the weather gods it is May!
expatinuk

« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

I had to drive to another station to get my season ticket today. Apart from getting sleeted on, I drove along a section of road with snow lying in the edge against a wall. Someone needs to tell the weather gods it is May!

Someone did... and the weather gods responded, 'You had good weather in April, so shut up.'

It is what it is.
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2012, 1:00:02 PM »

When did we have good weather in April?  BBC said something like "coldest April in 23 years". 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
wegie

« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2012, 2:15:27 PM »

When did we have good weather in April?  BBC said something like "coldest April in 23 years".  

And the wettest in the past century.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 2:16:27 PM by wegie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: