• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:14:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Poll
Question: How long are your faculty meetings
~1 hour, weekly - 3 (3.6%)
~1 hour, every other week - 7 (8.3%)
~1 hour, monthly - 26 (31%)
~2 hours, weekly - 3 (3.6%)
~2 hours, every other week - 4 (4.8%)
~2 hours, monthly - 29 (34.5%)
other - 12 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 84

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How long are your faculty meetings  (Read 19056 times)
octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 9:08:58 PM »

Ours are 1.5 hours every three or four weeks (almost monthly but sometimes a bit  more often). They almost never go long because our dean keeps things on track (bless him).

Love your neighbor.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 9:27:07 PM »

...since I'm leaving this summer.

To another faculty position?

Yes, I'm leaving my non-tenure-track position for a tenure-track position 500 miles away.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 9:39:22 PM »

The meetings of all full-time faculty members?  Once a month during the semester, for about an hour or so.  Attendance is about 60%.  I normally go, although I did take a mental health break of 2 years at one stage.

I have plenty of other committee meetings and then there are the union meetings.  Those demonstrate how 60 minutes can seem a great deal longer.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 9:41:24 PM »

...since I'm leaving this summer.

To another faculty position?

Yes, I'm leaving my non-tenure-track position for a tenure-track position 500 miles away.

Congrats!

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
ucprof

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 9:49:36 PM »

My dept has very low tolerance for faculty meetings.  The upshot is that we have them only when we have to vote on something or discuss something that will soon require a vote.  And we try to keep the discussion on target without digressing too much.
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 9:57:02 PM »

Our meetings would go much faster if each speaker would elminate statements like "I know we're running short on time, so I won't talk long." We meet during a 1 hour session between classes. Most informational stuff could be taken care of via email. Time is usually monopolized by the same 2-3 people.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
lotsoquestions

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »

Have you met Meeting Guy?  You know that guy in your department who doesn't ever DO ANYTHING but who REALLY LOVES MEETINGS?  If I could somehow remove Meeting Guy from the Outlook Invites list, I think I could probably get our faculty meetings down to around 20 minutes.  I assume that every department got issued a Meeting Guy, along with a Sexual Harasser, a Weird, snorty laughter guy and a Mr. Hypercompetitive.
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

Have you met Meeting Guy?  You know that guy in your department who doesn't ever DO ANYTHING but who REALLY LOVES MEETINGS?  If I could somehow remove Meeting Guy from the Outlook Invites list, I think I could probably get our faculty meetings down to around 20 minutes.  I assume that every department got issued a Meeting Guy, along with a Sexual Harasser, a Weird, snorty laughter guy and a Mr. Hypercompetitive.
Due to budget constraints we have had several of these identities assigned to one individual.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

We have Morally-Outraged Guy.  MOG stands up and denounces people for their lack of morality.  He has even stopped initiatives to enroll more students, because it would be morally wrong.  MOG is notorious for never being around to help students, and does f***-all for the school apart from what is useful to him.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
history_grrrl

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »

What faculty meetings? Thanks to a couple of do-nothing chairs, my department only has meetings when we have to do something momentous like hire a new colleague or vote on someone's tenure. The culture is now such that we can barely make quorum for these. Occasionally some of us -- even the most anti-meeting people -- will clamor for a meeting about something really important. If we're lucky, the current chair will eventually wander into the discussion and act like having a meeting was hu's idea. Then hu will discover that we can't meet because various events, etc., have been scheduled for the times when we're all available. I would say this is right up there with the four-hour "meeting about nothing" problem.

msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 12:18:01 AM »

We have a lot of meetings that consist largely of people reporting at one another. In addition to once-a-month meetings that run for 2+ hours, we have other meetings for various groups and programs within the department that also occur on a monthly basis--except we never actually meet in terms of discussing actual issues; everything could, really and truly, be handled via email.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:34 AM »

We have a lot of meetings that consist largely of people reporting at one another. In addition to once-a-month meetings that run for 2+ hours, we have other meetings for various groups and programs within the department that also occur on a monthly basis--except we never actually meet in terms of discussing actual issues; everything could, really and truly, be handled via email.

The general all faculty meetings tend to be this kind of reporting that could be handled in other ways and so attendance is not good. The various committees I mentioned actually discuss and make decisions.
ex_mo

Peddler of backroom smut.

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 6:22:58 PM »

My department never meets.  There's only 4 of us, and we conduct any business we need to via email.  We're pretty self directed.

The entire faculty (SLAC) has a meeting once a month.  It usually lasts at least an hour and half.  Meetings are pretty boring, but occasionally erupt into shouting matches which makes them worth attending.  Most everyone goes but there's a lot of trickling out after the first hour, particularly if there are boring "reports" from stupid committees no one cares about.

lyndonparker

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 9:32:42 AM »

My department never meets.  There's only 4 of us, and we conduct any business we need to via email.  We're pretty self directed.

The entire faculty (SLAC) has a meeting once a month.  It usually lasts at least an hour and half.  Meetings are pretty boring, but occasionally erupt into shouting matches which makes them worth attending.  Most everyone goes but there's a lot of trickling out after the first hour, particularly if there are boring "reports" from stupid committees no one cares about.

Do we work at the same place? We have monthly faculty meetings that last about an hour and a half, sometimes longer. Most of the reasonable people, who have children or a research agenda, leave after an hour. The screaming takes place during the final 30 minutes.

Lyndon always has such a nice succinct way of putting things.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 9:51:10 AM »

The full faculty meet at my SLAC for approx 1 hr once a month. Sometimes the meeting goes over, but if that happens, some people leave so they can make it to their classes).

I'm also on our faculty senate, and that group meets for an hour once a week.

My dept usually meets a couple times a semester, but my chair has been buried with other service this yr, so that has happened less frequently this year. No one has complained yet. But I should also say that we are a very small dept, so if there is anything that needs to be discussed, we can just talk in the hallway.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: