• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 2:18:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Poll
Question: How long are your faculty meetings
~1 hour, weekly - 3 (3.6%)
~1 hour, every other week - 7 (8.3%)
~1 hour, monthly - 26 (31%)
~2 hours, weekly - 3 (3.6%)
~2 hours, every other week - 4 (4.8%)
~2 hours, monthly - 29 (34.5%)
other - 12 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 84

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How long are your faculty meetings  (Read 19058 times)
nocalprof

« on: March 10, 2012, 6:32:50 PM »

I got a round of dirty looks yesterday while leaving a faculty meeting after ~2 hours.  I just couldn't take the unproductive circular discussion that meandered to all sorts of irrelevant topics.  Meetings are approximately every other week, sometimes every week, and often stretch over 1 hour, occasionally over 2 hours.  This pattern is highly effective at eliminating an afternoon of productivity each week it happens.  What are other people's faculty meeting schedules like?
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 6:42:32 PM »

It depends on what group is meeting. Mine are as listed below.

1/month 1 hour
1/semester 1 hour
2/month 1.5 hours
1/month 1-2 hours
2/semester 50 minutes

What you're dealing with sounds excessive to me. They might be more effective and focused if scheduled with a specific end time. How to accomplish that change, with diplomacy, is the question.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 7:28:46 PM »

It also depends on what meeting we're talking about here, but here are mine:

1x month - 75 minutes
1x month but sometimes 2x month - 60-75 minutes
as needed (usually 2-3x semester) for 1-3 hours
2-4x semester for 60-75 minutes

Ours are always scheduled into class blocks when none of us teach, so there's almost always an end-time of 60-75 minutes, although the one as-needed committee sometimes runs longs for very good reason once a year; it's a productive 3 hours, and we all know it'll run that long well in advance. 
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 7:31:44 PM »

Both my last job and my new job:  They go on one's calendar as once a month for 2-3 hours, but usually several get cancelled, so in reality, the department actually meets perhaps five times a year for between 2 and 3 hours.

infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 7:50:06 PM »

At my current CC, we just had our very first departmental meeting of the semester yesterday (and there are none others on the schedule, as of now).  It took one hour, at a Mexican restaurant, over a delicious lunch.  Now that's the way to conduct business!

When I was on the TT, we met once a month, and it was always two to three hours.  Three of us had a 50-mile commute home (and, of course, these meetings always started late in the day, around 4:30 or 5:00), so one of us would invariably suggest we start wrapping things up, just to end the interminable discussions.  Between the darkness of the hour and the dangerous route (a whiteout corridor when it snowed--and it was always snowing), we were usually successful at relying on our colleagues' sympathies.

My Better Half's faculty meets at least once a month, and the meetings last about three weeks, or so it seems.  They just go on for hours.  Nothing useful is ever decided, but a lot of energy is expended arguing.  It's one of the most fractious faculties I've ever seen.  Like Congress, MBH's faculty seems to see the battle itself as more important than the actual issues they're battling over.  As MBH phases into retirement, he is not sorry to be missing those meetings.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
anon99

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »

For department meetings: 2 hours once or sometimes twice a semester.  For faculty meetings (e.g. Faculty of Arts): 1-2 times a semester, usually 2-3 hours.  I know other dept who meet once a month or every two weeks.  I don't know what they have to talk about that takes so long (i.e. there are no searches or major changes to the curriculum).
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »

Our "management committee" meets once a month for two hours but only a small fraction of people are on it. We occasionally have other discussion fora for about an hour - one is an annual "state of the school" the other whenever the chair thinks it might make sense (rarely). There are also education, research etc. committees. There are some US SLACS the same size as my department...  At my old US school we had a faculty meeting at the beginning and end of each semester from what I remember for a hour or two.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »

When I worked in the private sector, I had a boss that had no home life. On Fridays, she got itchy about being home alone all weekend. Generally, she came in Sundays and worked at least 6 hours. leaving us piles of work to do Monday morning. Anyway, to stave off the loneliness of the weekend, she'd call a Friday meeting sometime mid-morning. Usually, we'd order lunch and work through it. The worst was when we started at 10 am and ordered lunch, kept going, and ordered dinner.

Same boss would ask me why I was leaving early if I left at 5 pm after being there since 8:30 am. She also preferred I worked through lunch. She would stay until 8 or 9 at night, and come in around 10 am. She would insist a hot, fresh pot of coffee be ready when she came in or she screamed at us.

I finally left for another job, and eventually to return to grad school. She sees me yearly at conferences, and wants me to work for her again.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »

One hour twice a semester.  They've always been like this because we have government by secret oligarchy.  Since Snapper retired, I've probably stepped into his nitch, so I may finally be on the inside.  Two months to go. 

Taste o' the Sixties
pathogen

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 1:30:56 PM »

Can't say. They take place in an alternate dimension where time has no meaning.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 2:09:45 PM »

Full day "retreat" just before the beginning of each school year.  Then 1 hour every two weeks, but only held if there is actually something on the agenda (about 1 in 5 don't happen), and sometimes end in less than an hour.  We only go over if there is a very serious issue.  Actually not too bad.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
tenured_cat

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 5:53:05 PM »

Since I've become chair, monthly departmental faculty meetings are usually much less than an hour, with self-important chatter and posturing held at zero (unless a very undesirable and disruptive person shows up and can't shut up - then I do my best to cut that off at about 30 seconds). If there's anything that requires a long discussion, short items can be dealt with quickly or even just through handouts or even e-mails.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous
aside

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 7:59:59 PM »

My unit:  1 hour about 3 times a semester.
University:  once a semester, 1-2 hours.

No discussion at university level; generally very little at unit level.  The typical practice here is to assign things that need to be discussed to committees.  Exceptions include the unit-wide envisioning required by strategic-planning initiatives, etc.  <Shudder>
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 8:44:55 PM »

The meetings are supposed to be three times a semester for at least an hour (that's the official school policy).

The chair is getting better at keeping us to the hour for the all-hands, we-gotta-check-the-box meetings as long as nothing of importance is being discussed.  However, I've sat in up to four meetings of three hours each in a single week to hammer out some departmental business. 

I expect the departmental meeting this week will be more like the 4-hour variety instead of the one-hour variety unless a couple people just get up and walk out rather than continue to discuss the most important issue of the day.  I likely will be one of those people when the meeting hits the one-hour mark because I have zero stake in the most important issue of the day and what I think can't possibly matter since I'm leaving this summer.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 8:51:00 PM »

...since I'm leaving this summer.

To another faculty position?

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: