• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.
 
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: From TT Faculty to Admin: Things to Negotiate  (Read 8694 times)
10293847
New member
*
Posts: 24


« on: March 10, 2012, 8:46:23 AM »

I am looking for general advice on things to negotiate for a move from TT Faculty (& Chair) to Admin for a 4 year position at the same University.

Salary: In a search of the forum, there seems to be no hard and fast rule regarding % increase in salary. Going from a 9 month to 12 month position does not always equate to 33%. Any thoughts on this?

Salary 2: Does one negotiate a base salary increase if one returns to the faculty after the admin post? So, would one negotiate a 3% compound salary increase on the base salary? Are there other ways this is typically handled?

Are there any other tips you can offer for situations like this? I searched the forum, but was not able to find exact matches to this situation for moving back and forth within the same institution.

Thanks!
Logged
chronanon
Member
***
Posts: 131


« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »

I understand the notion that you're working 33% more an a 33% raise might be in order.  But, from the perspective of the payroll office/CFO, they're currently paying you for 75% of the year, and they're asking you to work the remaining 25%, so that's the ceiling.  But then we also are expecting you to be doing work during the summer on research as well, so maybe 25% is a little much.  How much too much depends on what the average salary is for comparable schools for the position you're moving into.  And "comparable" means the institutions with which your institution competes for labor, not what you might otherwise think of as a peer group or aspirant group or athletic conference.

Not advocating a position, just trying to help you see the perspective of the people who have to ultimately sign off on it.

I would argue that your salary when you return to the faculty should be higher than your salary now plus standard increases.  The reason I'd argue that is because four years hence the college will have a faculty member with in-depth administrative knowledge and experience.  You'll be able to build bridges between faculty and administrative areas, which is a very valuable thing.  The four year appointment is, if nothing else, a huge professional development exercise.  The increased skills and value should be compensated.  It also offers an incentive for other faculty who may be considering administrative positions.

That argument would be doubly true if you're unable to negotiate a strong (say 20%) salary increase during your time in the administrative position.
Logged
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 3,130


« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 3:20:41 PM »

You might want to check salaries of administrators at one of the many helpful CHE sites to find out what your post is worth elsewhere.  Presumably your life will be less poetic as an administrator.  It is thus not just the additional 2-3 months that you'll add to your 9-10 month contract; it's the pedestrian world that you'll face for the 75% of the year that you would be thinking deep thoughts about things that matter to you academically.  Here is one place you can find data, but I didn't look very hard.  There are probably more relevant/appropriate places for you.

http://chronicle.com/section/Administrator-Data/131/
Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.9 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
  • 1255 Twenty-Third St., N.W.
  • Washington, D.C. 20037
subscribe today

Get the insight you need for success in academe.