• June 26, 2016
June 26, 2016, 4:51:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328]
  Print  
Author Topic: Managing long-term depression and its affect upon work  (Read 3721367 times)
pgher

« Reply #4905 on: June 09, 2016, 6:11:36 pm »

Wow, britmom and dr_evil, my thoughts and prayers with you both. I think you're right, latico, that it's the people who have suffered and know what depression is like that give the most help.

I saw my doctor yesterday and I'm starting on Zoloft. I didn't realize how far gone I was until we went through the screening checklist--way more yeses than I would have thought.

Oh, and dr_evil, amen to the good night's sleep. I seem to get sent into a tailspin every time I travel. It always works out that when I'm coming back, I've had a short night. Like last week. I missed about three hours of sleep, didn't catch up on the plane, then by the time I got to my car I was on the verge of collapse. Thankfully, I have a good friend who talked me through it and got me out of that particular valley.
drbrt
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #4906 on: June 10, 2016, 2:02:36 am »

I am finally tapped in enough to the local network to find a shrink who treats bipolar and doesn't believe in LGBT conversion therapy. I am going to try and call Monday. (I hate phones). I've been suspicious my meds mix isn't quite right for a couple months, and my GP will only write refills for stable treatments.

Wow, britmom and dr_evil, my thoughts and prayers with you both. I think you're right, latico, that it's the people who have suffered and know what depression is like that give the most help.

I saw my doctor yesterday and I'm starting on Zoloft. I didn't realize how far gone I was until we went through the screening checklist--way more yeses than I would have thought.

Oh, and dr_evil, amen to the good night's sleep. I seem to get sent into a tailspin every time I travel. It always works out that when I'm coming back, I've had a short night. Like last week. I missed about three hours of sleep, didn't catch up on the plane, then by the time I got to my car I was on the verge of collapse. Thankfully, I have a good friend who talked me through it and got me out of that particular valley.
This really resonated. I read your post and then looked at an entry checklist myself. I think I've been overestimating my current coping level

List? I am supposed to have a list? MONDAY IS COMING! ACK!
bud04
I was preparing to prepare but.....

« Reply #4907 on: June 11, 2016, 6:36:41 pm »

It is good to hear from everyone especially Britmom. It is great you have an understanding Dean.

I hope everyone is well and working to manage the "black dog."

Dr Evil please take care of yourself. Heart procedures are scary.

Drbrt, I like the term"coping level." Mine is less than 0 at the moment and I am missing parts of my life that are so important.

We ain't all that perceptive. If it's a problem, we go out to the woods and shoot it.
                                           Prytania3
laudity

« Reply #4908 on: June 12, 2016, 2:14:16 pm »

I'm still on medical leave for my physical health issue, and trying to find that balance between gradual re-entry to life and getting the rest I need.

It's a little scary to discover that it's an extremely fine line between "I'm enjoying this enforced rest" and "I'm worthless if I'm not being productive." I can't predict when the worthless thoughts will suddenly emerge. I'm having to develop new strategies that don't involve jumping off the couch to do something as distraction.

Some of the strategies include:
  • addressing the cognitive distortion head-on, with reminders that healing IS my job right now
  • telling myself that I'll be more productive after this time of rest
  • non-physical distraction like netflix, book, computer time
  • limited physical distraction like 10 minutes of tidying my space
  • reach out to a friend. I'm doing a lot of emailing and texting these days - low-key limited interaction is good

Those are the good ones. There are other, not so healthy strategies as well that I won't go into. I'd be open to other suggestions from you wise folk!
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,

« Reply #4909 on: June 13, 2016, 11:33:24 am »

Laudity, it may be small comfort, but times when you are forced to slow down can be a good reminder that our value is not just in "what we do," but in who we are.   

I have been treading water the last few weeks, trying to keep my spirits up, in part by not watching the news too much.  I turned it on yesterday and it was just heartbreaking.  I need strength instead of this slippery slope.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:39:14 am by alto_stratus » Logged
pgher

« Reply #4910 on: June 15, 2016, 9:42:31 am »

Just wanted to check in and say, I'm doing much better now. Not at my goal, but I can see progress. I guess that's all anyone can hope for.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328]
  Print  

Jump to: