• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: possessed scholars  (Read 9173 times)
11thfloor

« on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »

Hello, I'm about to reread A S Byatt's novel Possession.  I was thinking it must be the start of a new genre - that there wouldn't have been any novels about possessed scholars before Possession.  So, that was my first question to you all - are there nineteenth century novels about possessed scholars, or readers, for instance?  But then I couldn't think of any that come later either!  With the sole exception of Margaret Drabble's odd The Red Queen.  Are there others?
11thfloor

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 3:49:25 AM »

So I have now got about half way through Possession.   Not at all what I remembered.  I am still waiting for someone to actually be possessed.  Lots of play on the word possession of course.  How 80s it seems!  Anyone else read Possession either in the 80s or recently? 
So I guess I am no longer looking for possessed, or haunted, scholars exactly (though please if you think of any let me know!) but just books about scholars, with made-up scholarship included.  The Lady of the Snakes is far closer to Possession than I thought - even with the stolen letters!  How strange that I remembered it (or failed to remember it) so differently. 
marigolds
looks far too young to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 7:55:43 AM »

Poe's "Rappacini's Daughter" is sort of about a possessed scholar.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
clairvoyant

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 9:42:27 AM »

Hi "Rappacini's Daughter" is good. Happy reading :-)

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »

Hi "Rappacini's Daughter" is good. Happy reading :-)

I see a spam link in your future.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: