• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:31:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Research and Administration  (Read 19533 times)
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 9:29:54 AM »

How interesting!  I have been wondering about how many of the same skills I use in the classroom will help me in this position: patience, empowering others, transparency, building consensus.  Of course, I will have to take the bad with the good, just as with students too: whining, "my dog ate it" excuses, recalcitrant team members.  Ha!  Years before coming to academia, I worked in restaurants.  Every time someone says something about how quirky our profession is, I like to remind them that all professions have those quirks.  I got my dean to chuckle when I told her that academia was just the same restaurant but with different clientele. 

I am glad to hear you enjoy some of the job, I think I will too.  No job is perfect but I tend to look on the bright side.  We will see!

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »

It's official!

I turned in my cover letter, administrative philosophy and vision for the department along with my cv yesterday. 

The next step is the department presentation and interview.  Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.  I have a couple of weeks to prepare, thank goodness. 

No turning back now!

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: