• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:14:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: negotiations in department head job  (Read 8200 times)
lbothwell3

« on: January 29, 2012, 4:49:03 PM »

This question involves moving from a faculty position at a public R1 to a chair's position at a public R1. If I were taking a faculty position at the new R1, I could negotiate the following (based on reliable information from the faculty there): three years of 1-2 course download per year; $15K in research startup; 11% of salary for summer research first two years; $7500 in relocation.

As a chair I am not sure what I could ask for: relocation of course; but what else might be reasonable to request? I don't want to be greedy, but also do not want to leave anything on the table, and later have regrets.

Thanks.
oatmeal

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 6:55:44 AM »

OP--Good luck with the move. Are you a finalist or have you been offered the position? In terms of a reasonable request, it depends on the institution and what sense you had talking with the Dean and senior colleagues, and the state of the budget. You could ask for start-up funds but tie to professional development as a chair (conferences, workshops) or a research account specific to you. You could negotiate for administrative "leave" at the end of your term and also to have the same sabbatical clock as if you were not a chair. You could try for a month of research time over the summer, but that might be difficult to secure and definitely relocation. You could also request that the university pay your association dues for a  few years. Again, good luck with the new position.
lbothwell3

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 9:15:33 PM »

Dear Quaker,

This feedback was very helpful, and gave me some good ideas. Thanks! And actually I am a finalist at three different institutions. One is a large R1 flagship; the other is an R1a (or son of R1), and the other is a state U with aspirations of getting into the big leagues. So your ideas are excellent.

LB
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 9:17:41 PM by lbothwell3 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: