• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailing spouse in student affairs  (Read 7668 times)
looking

« on: January 19, 2012, 3:02:53 PM »

Hi,
I am on the market this year (first time) and have had some interviews, but am not sure how to approach the spousal hire situation. I am not married to my partner, because it is not legal in most states, and while I am ABD, he is a student affairs professional - who most likely wants to go into res life or student leadership. My interviews are at small state schools or smaller LACs - how do I (or is it even advisable) bring up a potential position for him? some of the schools seem to have small student affairs staff - and while his hiring cycle is different than mine, I am not sure of there will be openings at these smaller schools.
Any advice?
thanks
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »

When offered the job, mention that your partner is in Student Affairs.  Ask about partner benefits, and any possible openings in Student Affairs.  It's rare the department of a small school will tuck another position into their department, but Student Affairs frequently has turn over.  The Dean/VP might be angling for a position in his speciality.  He should also make contact with the division when the offer comes through.  You should definitely mention his talents.  Every school deals with it differently, after that. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: