• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:20:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IPhone 4 vs. 4s vs. future Iphone 5  (Read 16373 times)
betterslac
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: January 08, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »

My wife is thinking about getting an Iphone. My brother-in-law thinks there is not that much difference between a 4 and the 4s (at least that justifies the price difference). My wife is also thinking about waiting for the Iphone 5, which is supposed to be out this fall.

Any thoughts, particularly regarding the difference between the 4 and 4s, and what would be different with the 5?
drnobody

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »

Basically Siri (the voice assistant) and the higher resolution camera. I know there are other differences, but those are the two that matter to the average person. I have a 4 and decided to wait for the 5. I think Apple's pattern has been to do a "super improvement" every two cycles. I'd wait and get all the bells and whistles, but that's easy for me to say while I have a 4.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 1:26:38 AM »

I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. I have an android in the meantime, which is as functional as the iPhone 4 I had (which no longer works, through no fault of its own).

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
betterslac

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 2:00:47 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment she has an HTC model that looks like a smartphone but really isn't. It's looking like she will wait for 5 to come out (which means we need to find something else for her birthday present. Darn!)
irhack
Marshwiggle

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »

Get her the phone--she'll love it! We upgraded our iPhone 3Gs to 4S a few months ago and it's so fantastic, the camera is so good I didn't bother to replace my regular camera when I lost it in a move. Siri is I think improperly involved with my spouse--but I love my phone so much I'm choosing to look the other way. IRspouse travels and we can use our phones for free facetime calls when he's abroad. It even acts as a remote for our TV (appleTV of course). It's so much faster and better than the 3G. I love my phone.
secundem_artem
Stone cold humanist and finally a

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 1:25:56 AM »

I have a 4S.  Siri is quite good - a nice touch on a phone.  You can dictate emails and text messages rather than type but I'm not sure if earlier versions also did that 

The 4S is also supposed to be the first one that works overseas where they use GSM rather than CDMA technology  - I will find out next month just how good it is overseas  My old Blackberry was an antique but it worked everywhere.

In my opinion, Secundem_artem is precisely correct. 

I think secundem_artem, rather, has hit the nail on the head.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 1:51:05 AM »

If she has a iPhone 4 and is happy with it she might as well wait for the 5. With technology it always pay to wait.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
betterslac

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 5:56:49 AM »

If she has a iPhone 4 and is happy with it she might as well wait for the 5. With technology it always pay to wait.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. She has an HTC now and thinking about getting an Iphone. Bro in law thinks that getting a 4 would be a good option, given its lower price, so we are weighing the merits of 4 vs. 4s vs waiting on 5.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 6:00:42 AM »

It's not worth getting an iPhone until it has 4g data.  I can't believe Apple didn't upgrade to 4g the last time out. 

I bought an HTC 4g phone instead, and I'm probably lost to the iPhone forever, now.

Que scay-je?
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 7:13:23 AM »

The 4S is also supposed to be the first one that works overseas where they use GSM rather than CDMA technology  - I will find out next month just how good it is overseas  My old Blackberry was an antique but it worked everywhere.

Other way around, actually. One of the reasons Apple went with AT&T with the original iphone and the 3 and 3GS was because AT&T had a ginormous GSM network, and until the CDMA version of the iphone4 that came out on Verizon, Apple had no CDMA phones. Before it took a header down the toilet, my 3S had done sterling service across most of Europe and the US with no problems.

I thought long and hard about getting a 4S last month -- 4g wasn't a consideration as there isn't any 4g in the UK at the moment -- but in the end I went with a Samsung Galaxy Note, as the screen real estate means that I don't have to buy a separate kindle or tablet.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »

I find myself in the same conundrum. I have a BB, and I've decided to switch to the iPhone for my next upgrade, but I'm torn between doing t now and waiting until the fall.  On the plus side for doing it now is the ease of finally having everything synched on the same operating system: iPad, home computer, and phone (my office computer is a PC, and there's nothing I can do about it). I am beyond tired of having to maintain two calendars, two contact lists, etc.

BUT, the new iPhone should be out in Fall, and if even some of the rumors are partly true, it would be worth waiting for.

BUT, there is always a backlog to get the new apple products, AND there is usually at least one major issue that plagues early adopters.

So I am still trying to decide, but it is quite possible that my BB will conk out once and for all and make the decision for me.

pink_
Empress &

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »

So, I bit the bullet, and got the 4s over the weekend. I like it a great deal so far, and I've found the touchscreen keyboard to be much easier to adapt to than I expected. I'm not blown away, but I suspect that's because I've been using an iPad since May, so I'm already acculturated to the IOS world.  I do have to say that it was pretty cool to enter my apple id on the phone and have my calendar and contacts all ready to go. Thanks iCloud!

betterslac

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 7:43:46 AM »

So, I bit the bullet, and got the 4s over the weekend. I like it a great deal so far, and I've found the touchscreen keyboard to be much easier to adapt to than I expected. I'm not blown away, but I suspect that's because I've been using an iPad since May, so I'm already acculturated to the IOS world.  I do have to say that it was pretty cool to enter my apple id on the phone and have my calendar and contacts all ready to go. Thanks iCloud!

Any issues so far? My wife is also a bit apprehensive about being a relatively early adopter of a new model.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »

Any issues so far? My wife is also a bit apprehensive about being a relatively early adopter of a new model.

Absolutely none. It's been very easy, and I'm wondering why I didn't make the switch a long time ago. I've made a few calls, texted and emailed more, and have gotten absolutely addicted to Fruit Ninja (I blame the Apple Store for this since I was introduced to the game while playing on one of the store display models).

My biggest challenge so far has been selecting a case. I finally opted for one of the deflector models from this web site: http://www.getuncommon.com/ You can pick and customize the design, and I'm a total sucker for that kind of thing. Plus, they had a couple different ones at the apple store, and they seemed nice. Case arrives tomorrow.

pigou

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 6:26:25 PM »

Are Android phones out of the question?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: