• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:47:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange censorship case  (Read 15221 times)
pyshnov
had touched the tip of the iceberg

« on: January 05, 2012, 4:15:56 AM »

Yesterday I posted on "Terminating tenured faculty". Today, 1) the URL link to my home page is removed, 2) link to my blog on wordpress removed and 3) the link to my new research publication in the arXiv removed. More - 4) my Signature that was on each of my messages in this forum for many years now removed.
Can I, please, get the explanation for each of the removed items?
In particular, is this censorship according to the rules (which rule in each case of removal?) or multiple mistakes?
Was this done by a staff moderator or someone else?
How do I know what item should be avoided in the future? The rules of posting do not give much detail nor the definitions, but refer to "inappropriate" items not defined for me. How on Earth can I avoid such surprises and the blame for posting something "inappropriate"?
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>
Distinguished Senior Member

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 4:59:35 AM »

The links in the text were probably deemed a violation of the forum's terms prohibiting self-promotion.  The link in your signature might have been deemed a violation as well, though I myself think it should have been allowed.

You'll need to get the full story from a moderator.  I'm only jumping in to post so as to make the last point in the previous paragraph, speaking from the point of view of someone who has often been at odds with you on this forum. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »

Pyshnov,

Our posting rules state that "Posting spam of any kind in a post or in your signature line (whether it's commercial spam or an attempt to use the forums to sell or promote your books, Web site, etc.) will result in an immediate ban."

You've also been around long enough to know that our users consider such posts to be spam, and report them, as someone did in this case.

We do allow users to include a link to their blog or Web site in their profile (which is why we moved your Web site link there), but not in the body of a message or in the sig line.

Thanks.

-the moderators

pyshnov

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »

Dear Global Moderator,

I see. I was wrong, there is no censorship or mistakes. There is new rule against spam that however has all the functionality of censorship. The new rule removed my Signature as my Signature is now a spam, self-promotion. I will see what I can do within the new rules. Next, the paragraph describing my new research stands (not a self-promotion), but link to the paper is removed as self-promotion.

The Chronicle is an academic publishing. How about allowing external links to let scientists to promote their views, their research, to show documents, including the ones supporting their complaints and their views? And the links on the opposite side of the debate. That would be a small step toward allowing a part of the academic freedom that scientists and academics have in a university.

Higher education goes through the crisis. It's basically the epidemics of lying and falsifications. No help from the Chronicle, no section on integrity, and no reality check possible even if you want to give the link? What can now be said about the forum trustworthiness (the names are also not the real names)?

This entire forum is academics talking about their work and experiences. This is all a self-promotion if you wish to broaden the meaning of it as currently the rules do. And this is a questionable self-promotion (spam) if supporting documentation is not allowed.

Frankly, the forum has now sad looks. Language has improved, but it looks like figures in the wax museum talking with their heads down.

Can this part of the academic freedom - the external links free from censorship - be allowed?
pyshnov

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »

DvF,
I don't believe you can be blamed. A lot of loose ends flying in universe, some can fire back. Yes, we were often at odds, and your principles are known. I hope, I wasn't unethical too.
sciencephd
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 8:34:37 PM »

And to think that you missed the member-moderator debate !    Censorship, lies, etc., not to mention conspiracy.

Of course the forum is not the same as it was.  The question is who is really in control ?  And, what do they want ? ...not only for dinner, but in terms of favorite city versus favorite university ?

I just hate it that I constantly have to like everyone and everything. -- moonstone

O, what a hateful feminist concoction!
Jews, communists, "lesbians", feminists and marihuana addicts  --Pyshnov
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: