• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:18:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Important Announcement  (Read 34557 times)
Global Moderator

« on: November 18, 2011, 2:16:26 PM »

Hi folks. I want to call your attention to an important login change that will take place Monday night (November 28). If, like me, you have more than one Chronicle user name tied to a single e-mail address, you've probably received the following e-mail message (please pay particular attention to the portions highlighted in bold):

----------
I'm e-mailing you today to let you know that in a few weeks we will be making some important changes in the way you interact with us online at Chronicle.com. Once the changes have been made, you will be able to use your e-mail address as your main method of identification.

This change means that new visitors won't have to spend time making up a user name just to be able to receive our newsletters, and that everyone who logs in to the site will be able to do so with just their e-mail address, which should make the process simpler and easier. (Of course, you can continue to log in with your user name if you wish.)

Unfortunately, there are some visitors, like you, who have more than one Chronicle user name tied to a single e-mail address. As a part of this upgrade we need to make sure that each e-mail address is associated with just one user name. Right now, you have the following user names associated with name@emailhost.com:

username_01
username_02
username_03
username_04
username_05
username_06
username_07
username_08

So what do you need to do?

If you don't need to have more than one active Chronicle user name, you don't need to do anything right now. After we've made the changes, we'll stop you the next time you log in to the site, and help you choose which user name you want to keep. We'll even combine your access to premium content, newsletters, or job alerts under whichever user name you pick, so the transition is seamless.

It's important to note that one thing we won't be able to do is consolidate comments on articles, blogs, or in our forums to a single user name. Once you pick a single user name, any others that are still associated with name@emailhost.com will no longer be available to use for commenting.

If you do need to have more than one user name, you can log in and update the profile associated with each name that you want to keep, so that each of them is associated with a unique e-mail address.

If you need help logging in or changing the e-mail address on a profile, or just have questions about the changes we're making, you can contact us at help@chronicle.com

----------

So, just to reiterate, what this means is that if you want to retain your multiple user names, you'll need to make sure they're tied to separate but valid e-mail addresses before this change takes effect.

Thanks.

atalanta

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 2:23:36 PM »

Once the changes have been made, you will be able to use your e-mail address as your main method of identification.

...everyone who logs in to the site will be able to do so with just their e-mail address...

...(Of course, you can continue to log in with your user name if you wish.)

If a user chooses to log in using his/her e-mail address, will the e-mail address be publicly displayed in place of the username?

the thing that against me is "time", tell me something I could beat time?
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 5:22:44 PM »

No. Users' e-mail addresses will NOT be exposed. When a user logs in using his/her e-mail address, the user name associated with that e-mail address is what will be displayed when he/she posts a comment on an article or in the forums. Beginning next week, a new user who logs in using his/her e-mail address will be prompted to select a user name before he/she can post.

ochreluna13
dreaming...

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »

Dear Moderator,

My email is showing on my profile and I cannot figure out how to turn it off.  Thanks for your help.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Just killing time

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 1:01:26 PM »

Dear Moderator,

My email is showing on my profile and I cannot figure out how to turn it off.  Thanks for your help.

Actually, it's only visible to you.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 1:05:00 PM »

Dear Moderator,

We also can't see the little envelope on your posts that show your email if you let the cursor linger over it; only you (and maybe the Big M Moderators?) can see that.  (That panics me, too, almost every time I look at my profile.)
ochreluna13
dreaming...

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 1:38:59 PM »

Dear Moderator,

We also can't see the little envelope on your posts that show your email if you let the cursor linger over it; only you (and maybe the Big M Moderators?) can see that.  (That panics me, too, almost every time I look at my profile.)

Awesome, thanks all!!!
mbassow
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »

Hi folks, this 'no duplicate email on accounts' code is now in effect. We moved the install date from Nov. 28 to Dec 2.  Please let us know if you have any questions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: