• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:37:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: City-slicker visits the sticks.  (Read 244127 times)
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2011, 7:32:16 AM »

Chaos, that you leaves you and me...and I like to fly.

Well, Merino--are you anywhere near the Nutmeg State?

Hey, you had your chance, Pry. You can't steal Merino from me now. ;)

Goodness, how I like to wake up and find there's been a little competition over my company!

Why yes, I'm not too far from CT, and I like that state, from what I've seen of it. I've always wanted to see more and spend some time there. But like Chaos says...

Gsawpenny, you sound like a rarity in the online dating world, someone who is very conscientious about the hazards of communicating electronically, and how this format can distort the meaning and tone of a message. I've mentioned on the LHC thread that I think online dating has introduced the illusion of freedom and creativity in how one represents oneself to potential partners, and a sense that we can move beyond the conventions of dating. Yet dating is still extremely conventional in how the sexes are expected to interact with each other (for heterosexual dating), and within online dating, I think those conventions are more rigidly imposed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 7:34:00 AM by merinoblue » Logged

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
gsawpenny

« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2011, 7:43:50 AM »

Merionblue the only reason I am aware of the limits of online "speech" especially as it relates to dating is because I have, more than once, managed to stick my e-foot in my I-mouth.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2011, 7:49:05 AM »

I think all email communication is potentially fraught, with strangers, colleagues, and even friends. It's far too easy to toss off a message, and have your words or tone misconstrued.  Humour travels poorly through email, unless you know the recipient very well.

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
ejb_123

« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »

I heard that about where I live. I'm not in a rural area though (I don't think? Maybe I am. I'm not sure what is classed as rural in the US).

I describe rural as areas with towns (including university towns) that have less than 27,000 people.

It's like the total opposite of what happens where I come from -- hardly anyone gets married that young, especially if they're going to university, and I can't imagine that most of the people I was at high school with would have married their then-boyfriends. (I'm not criticizing anything, just observing the differences).

I have been told the same by people who grew up on the East Coast. In other parts of the U.S., it seems quite common for people to wait until their early 30s or even later to get married. I'm a mid-30's, childless, never-been-married high school teacher; this means that many of the parents of the students I teach are my age! (No wonder I feel so damn old.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:03:39 AM by ejb_123 » Logged
prokraz

« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »

I accepted my first tenure-track job in the kind of small town in the Upper Midwest that I never could have imagined myself living in. I bought my first house and learned how to teach there. And, after being perpetually single in the big city, I met my partner (through an online dating service, but he lived 5 minutes away). Who woulda thunk that a 30-something gay man would have to go to small-town America to find love? When I parlayed that first TT position into a better job in a better location, I brought him with me. Almost eight years later, we're (finally) planning the wedding.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »

I accepted my first tenure-track job in the kind of small town in the Upper Midwest that I never could have imagined myself living in. I bought my first house and learned how to teach there. And, after being perpetually single in the big city, I met my partner (through an online dating service, but he lived 5 minutes away). Who woulda thunk that a 30-something gay man would have to go to small-town America to find love? When I parlayed that first TT position into a better job in a better location, I brought him with me. Almost eight years later, we're (finally) planning the wedding.

Congratulations!  The CHE should have you write a column. 

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »

Yes, please!

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »

Anyone who writes a column for the CHE needs hus head examined.

If you don't believe me, ask Dr. Jill.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
notaprof
Not a

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »

Weddings are fun, be sure to fill us in on the details of the big day.  All best wishes.

prokraz

« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2011, 1:27:35 PM »

Thanks, all! We just went wedding band shopping last weekend, which was quite the experience having never previously stepped in a jewelry store, and having had to gender-correct a salesperson in three different stores even after using "partner" (I scouted ahead of my partner). But they were all lovely and helpful once that initial moment of awkwardness passed. (I live in a state where SSM is legal.)   
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2011, 1:31:15 PM »

Congratulations!

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2011, 2:37:19 PM »

Huh?

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2011, 2:56:06 PM »

Huh?

Because when you write a column, you inevitably get slammed by one and all on the fora.

Dr. Jill wrote the piece this thread has been slamming.

Try to keep up, Larry.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2011, 3:09:48 PM »

Try to keep up, Larry.

New tag line!

tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2011, 3:18:08 PM »

Can I just say, I have never seen so much love roll out from a snarkfest / trainwreck.

Oooh, are we all still on summer break?

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: