• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 10:08:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: This place is crawling with spam  (Read 160442 times)
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 5:18:42 AM »

I may regret saying this, but if you need someone to do simple spam sweep at around midnight PST each night, I might be able to do that. Around that time of night, I spend half my time reporting spam anyway.

Now that I am in Europe time, the amount of spam I see is immense - when I wake up, it seems half the new posts are spam (usually the same spammer, so it seems a simple removal of one person will get rid of it all). The blonde_assassin was supposed to be on the job in the UK, but she hasn't been around for ages and I don't believe any of the other member-mods were Europe based.

So I second melba's volunteering! midnight PST would be morning here.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 6:25:20 AM »

I may regret saying this, but if you need someone to do simple spam sweep at around midnight PST each night, I might be able to do that. Around that time of night, I spend half my time reporting spam anyway.

Now that I am in Europe time, the amount of spam I see is immense - when I wake up, it seems half the new posts are spam (usually the same spammer, so it seems a simple removal of one person will get rid of it all). The blonde_assassin was supposed to be on the job in the UK, but she hasn't been around for ages and I don't believe any of the other member-mods were Europe based.

So I second melba's volunteering! midnight PST would be morning here.

Melba has been doing this for some time now. I think expecting a completely spam-free forum for all parts of the world is probably unrealistic. We move as quickly as we can, and I don't think any of us ever sits on spam if we see it. That being said, I have to leave to teach in half an hour (it is 6:30 am here) and I am going to try to make a quick sweep before I go.

VP

voxprincipalis
Member-Moderator

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 6:34:17 AM »

And, not for nothing, but the longest amount of time this morning that the forum was "unattended" (based on the amount of time between spam-zapping reports) was two and a half hours. Melba reported her last zap at almost 4 am EDT, and I did my first before 6:30 am EDT.

Personally, I think that two and a half hours, during a time when the vast majority of forumites are snug in their beds, is actually a pretty darn good showing.

VP

polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 8:26:48 AM »

It is a good showing.  Thank you very much!

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
scampster

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 8:32:34 AM »

And, not for nothing, but the longest amount of time this morning that the forum was "unattended" (based on the amount of time between spam-zapping reports) was two and a half hours. Melba reported her last zap at almost 4 am EDT, and I did my first before 6:30 am EDT.

Personally, I think that two and a half hours, during a time when the vast majority of forumites are snug in their beds, is actually a pretty darn good showing.

VP

I wasn't trying to be critical, as I know member-mods are volunteers and are doing it best they can. I actually came over here originally to volunteer, but then saw that Melba had already volunteered for more or less the same time period. I hadn't realized she was already doing it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I noticed it as much last week when PST was 7 hours behind, not 8 (as we haven't done DST yet). It's unfortunate that the 2.5 hour time period happens to overlap at the time of day that I read the fora the most, which is why I came over to volunteer.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 7:58:41 PM »

Spamming is a big big issue in forum platforms. The moderators here are really experienced and they really know is trying to spam. If spammers are experienced so are they ;D
I hope moderators here keep them updated with new spamming techniques?

<waits for spam link>

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
voxprincipalis
Member-Moderator

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 8:35:34 PM »

Spamming is a big big issue in forum platforms. The moderators here are really experienced and they really know is trying to spam. If spammers are experienced so are they ;D
I hope moderators here keep them updated with new spamming techniques?

<waits for spam link>

He's already had over 20 posts removed. I think he's just getting pissy now. He's a spammer and he knows it.

VP

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 8:36:37 PM »

Ah. I hadn't noticed that.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »

If people insist on spamming, I wish they would at least be vaguely competent. Why waste time spamming about stone crushing machinery on an academic forum. I think we should demand a better class of spammer.

Right.  It should at least be Joe's School of Stump Jumping and Stone Crushing.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 5:34:55 AM »

I'm new here and have read a lot of spam content. how do you report spam by the way?

In the 32 minutes you've been registered?

Follow the instructions for reporting spam to the moderators. There's a link on every post.

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
xckrx

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 5:55:22 AM »

I have to admit I don't report spam on these forums anymore ever since my first experience reporting a clear-cut case of spam here, which resulted in MY account being deleted. (Maybe my username seems spammish?)

To top it off, I got a sternly-worded note about how my account was deleted because I was a horrible spammer and spam is not tolerated on the CHE boards. That was just too galling to be borne.

[I just found the text of the message:
"Sorry xckrx, you are banned from using this forum!
Spam is not allowed here."
Oh, man, I still remember how incredibly aggravating I found this.]

It took several e-mails and two days to get my account reinstated. I had never had this happen before in any online forum. Now every time I think of reporting spam here, I remember the hassle I was put through for trying to do my part to keep the boards usable. It's very discouraging! I would not want the same mistake to be made again and the issue perhaps not be resolved in the future, leaving me with a banned account.

I see spam and feel a twinge of guilt for not reporting it, but the experience I had and the rather bland/dismissive apology I received afterward are both very very discouraging.
lucy_

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 3:24:15 AM »

Being a night owl, I'm both amazed how much spam I see in the wee hours of the morning, and how its "magically" gone by the time I'm back the next day.

The first night / morning I saw so much of it, I reported it, but then after that, I saw how fast the moderators cleaned it up, that I realized i really didn't need to do anything.

Reading this thread, and seeing the suggestions to just report old spam makes sense. Guess I kinda figured that out after a few days, but good to see it in writing.

Just wanted to say thanks to the moderators for such speedy clean up. I'm on another forum that rarely gets spammed, so this was all new to me. Didn't initially understand all the talk about spam til I started seeing how prevalent it was here.
theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 3:47:13 AM »

Being a night owl, I'm both amazed how much spam I see in the wee hours of the morning, and how its "magically" gone by the time I'm back the next day.

The first night / morning I saw so much of it, I reported it, but then after that, I saw how fast the moderators cleaned it up, that I realized i really didn't need to do anything.

Reading this thread, and seeing the suggestions to just report old spam makes sense. Guess I kinda figured that out after a few days, but good to see it in writing.

Just wanted to say thanks to the moderators for such speedy clean up. I'm on another forum that rarely gets spammed, so this was all new to me. Didn't initially understand all the talk about spam til I started seeing how prevalent it was here.

Thanks!

And of course the Moderators play a big role by zapping spammers' accounts, etc.

(It's not actually possible for the member-moderators to remove spam, as it's illegal to dispose of without a federal permit; we just sweep it up and tidy it away on the fora, either into old threads (hurricane threads are good as the occasional storms wash it into the ocean), or into certain poster's accounts, which explains the surprisingly high number of posts some have achieved.)

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
lucy_

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 4:47:23 AM »

Thanks!

And of course the Moderators play a big role by zapping spammers' accounts, etc.

(It's not actually possible for the member-moderators to remove spam, as it's illegal to dispose of without a federal permit; we just sweep it up and tidy it away on the fora, either into old threads (hurricane threads are good as the occasional storms wash it into the ocean), or into certain poster's accounts, which explains the surprisingly high number of posts some have achieved.)

Wow, learn something new every day; did not know that.

In any case, thanks again!
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 1:24:35 PM »

Thanks!

Wow, learn something new every day; did not know that.

In any case, thanks again!

TBA was teasing you. We do delete spam and report the IDs of spammers to the moderators for banning.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: