• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:33:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: American University in Bosnia  (Read 48805 times)
crkens

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 7:46:52 PM »

As usual Aristo, you take your eye off the ball, and then there's a big whiff.  There are no victims here at AUBiH,  especially not the parents and the students.  If they could have gone somewhere else they would have.  The biggest myth in Bosnia is that no one knows what goes on at AUBiH.  They all know!  No one is paying for an education, they are paying for a degree, which can be guaranteed.  It's cheap at twice the price, given what the system has to work with.
aristophanies

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »

Your acerbic attitude endangers important posts about this university. Aren't we on the same side?
crkens

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 2:04:42 AM »

The truth endangers nothing.  It's not just the owner that makes this place an asylum.  The students are equally culpable as are the staff.  People should realize that the problems here are manifold, and not one dimensional.   
aristophanies

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 3:07:24 AM »

The students and their parents are subjected to the same deceit as the professors who work there. The slick PR on the website and all of the photos of the Clintons, Barak Obama, Joe Biden, Patrick Moon, and Cliff Bond, which are displayed prominently in the offices, lend the place, on the surface, legitimacy. Further, in discussions with parents in particular, they are absolutely CONVINCED that SUNY Canton is SUNY. They don't understand that SUNY has 64 geographically dispersed campuses, and that SUNY Canton is a D4 school, which was, until recently, a 2-year community college. They believe that their children will get diplomas from a D1 research flagship institution, based upon the deceitful information on the AUBiH website and the high cost of tuition. The parents and the students are also completely CONVINCED that SUNY will intercede and "do something" to stop the further deterioration (if that's possible) of AUBiH. A simple phone call to SUNY to inquire about the relationship between AUBiH and SUNY proves otherwise. The chairperson of the Board of Trustees denies any connection between the two, even though the president of SUNY Canton just delivered the keynote speech at graduation on June 8. SUNY doesn't give a fig about what happens to students, parents, or educators in Bosnia.
crkens

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 3:36:26 AM »

Aristo, thank-you for the expose.  Yes, it's all true.  There is only one small misconception.  Mommy and Daddy are warehousing their little dumpling here as  a means of ensuring that he will get something that they know he could never earn in any other way.  If it costs a little more, well who's counting.  It's a sure thing!  That's why junior acts the fool in and out of class.  He isn't acting.  They don't know and don't care about D4, D1 and the other obvious factual statements that you have posted.  All they hear is SUNY, and that is all they want to hear.  You misunderstand the culture completely.
aristophanies

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 5:14:00 AM »

Koliko dugo si ti u Bosni? Ja sam radoznala. Koliko jezika ti razumijes? Molim te, ne govori mi da ja ne razumijem ovo kulturu ako ne mozes procitati ovo. Hvala.

[Translation: How long were you in Bosnia? I'm curious. How many languages ​​you understand? Please do not tell me I do not understand this culture if you can not read this. Thank you.]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 8:47:30 AM by moderator » Logged
theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 5:44:14 AM »

Koliko dugo si ti u Bosni? Ja sam radoznala. Koliko jezika ti razumijes? Molim te, ne govori mi da ja ne razumijem ovo kulturu ako ne mozes procitati ovo. Hvala.

Please see forum rules about posting in English.

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
drmau

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 5:57:59 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, let us not fall out among ourselves. Monolithic "All X's are Y's" statements are usually inaccurate. I understand the culture quite well; a salient feature of Bosnians is that they tend to be rather gullible. Thus AUBiH existing for as long as it has.
Not all the students at AUBiH are rotten, cynical little monsters. A number of them are smart and good natured, and in another context would be good students. Even the ones who gave me the most grief when I was their professor, when encountered post AUBiH, are pretty much no worse than their American cohort.
Our context shapes our actions and attitudes.
aristophanies

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 6:30:25 AM »

Agreed, drmau.
crkens

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 7:03:26 AM »

Bosnians are no more gullible than anyone else, however, some are more desperate.  That is why the school  exists, and will continue to exist.  The same with the staff and the same with the teachers.

It's true, all students are not cynical little monsters.  I'm still looking for that oyster with a pearl as well.  In the meantime, I would refer you to the use and meaning of personal pronouns.
aristophanies

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 2:03:13 AM »

Students who are interested in transferring need to immediately contact IUS or SSST, or any other university they are interested in attending. Run, don't walk, kids! Several students are already in the process of finding a different school already. I encourage students to talk with one another, share information, and complete what is necessary so that the transition is a smooth as possible.
common

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 3:15:10 AM »

@ crkens
when did you teach at the AUBIH? As a former student I should probably know you. YES, on the AUBIH are some spoiled little bastards and want to be students, but categorizing everyone in the same basket is inappropriate and generalized.

In my opinion you have serious issues.
aristophanies

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 3:40:45 AM »

Dear common: Please do not engage crkens. "Don't poke the bear," as it were. This person has serious issues. S/he insults everyone who posts on this forum, including people who are on his side and the moderators. I feel sorry for students who enter this person's classroom. I must ask you not to engage her/him because s/he is hell-bent on getting the thread pulled because s/he is incapable of constructive and informative discussion. Just ignore crkens.
crkens

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 4:05:11 AM »

I see, anyone who doesn't agree with your specious reasoning should be censored.  You want everyone to be a victim.  I'm arguing that there are no victims at said university, absolutely none.  Please don't come to these forums wearing your Joan of Arc mask, let her rest in peace.
promovenda
Just thrilled to be a

Lost in the library

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 5:44:29 AM »

Dear common: Please do not engage crkens. "Don't poke the bear," as it were. This person has serious issues. S/he insults everyone who posts on this forum, including people who are on his side and the moderators. I feel sorry for students who enter this person's classroom. I must ask you not to engage her/him because s/he is hell-bent on getting the thread pulled because s/he is incapable of constructive and informative discussion. Just ignore crkens.

This.

"You're a wonderful bartender, Promovenda.  The hamster bestows one of his special nibbles on your ear."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: