• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:01:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: American University in Bosnia  (Read 48802 times)
crkens

« on: July 11, 2011, 7:26:34 PM »

Well, it's that time of year again in good old Tuzla, Bosnia and AUBiH.  Out with the old and in with the new.  The question is will they, meaning teachers, ever learn given what's on the web about this place.  Of course, there's always the old remedy for places like this.  You keeping hiring and firing until the lowest common denominator is reached.  They'll put up with anything!  I don't know if the place has sunk that low yet.  One can't help but wonder and relish the escape before the collapse.
aristophanies

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 6:55:26 AM »

There are serious financial problems with AUBiH. The owner is replacing American teachers with Bosnians, so the name of the place is a misnomer. Please, take any other job you can. DO NOT COME HERE.
aristophanies

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 4:11:47 PM »

http://aubih.orgfree.com/index.htm
common

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 7:49:14 AM »

Well, a simple question for both of you?

If this place sucks that bad, why didn't you leave it before?

Why did you suck it up for almost a year, but after being fired the story is just going on.... Every year the same bull...t

Just to keep it in mind, I ain't a big fan of DP too, in fact I don't like him at all because his way of dealing with other people.

BUT, I am sick of so called professors who are buddies and to whom everything is just good with DP for a whole year, but when getting fired you behave like "Mom the ugly dude there stole my lolly".

Leave personal revenge somewhere else. If you think you are right then sue him.

Former AUBIH student
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:42:53 AM by moderator » Logged
aristophanies

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 8:47:33 AM »

One more lesson in logic for you: if every year it is, as you claim, "the same thing," then what is the common denominator? The 100% turnover of new teaching staff, who do not realize they have been deceived until they are already here, or the owner, who has been running the place since its inception?

Wishing you the best of luck in the future with your diploma from this school.
common

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 8:47:28 AM »

I got your point, and I ain't saying you are wrong.

I am just asking my self where have you been for the complete academic year. As I know (form personal experience) you (I mean the professors) knew relatively early with whom and with what you are dealing (DP).

Why didn't you leave as soon as you realized all the nasty stuff you are talking about right now? Or could it be that you were OK with the status quo, just like "as long as I get paid I don't give a s***".

Your  main point of (majority of professors) writing on CHE is payback and personal revenge against DP. As I said for such stuff there are courts... so take him to court.
aristophanies

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

No, Common, you are mistaken. DP never interacted with faculty this year. When he used to, things got even worse. But new faculty don't get to know these facts because CHE keeps deleting the negative posts about this school that describe such incidences. Sounds like you are laboring under an illusion - most 2010/2011 faculty never even met him. Information is passed through other people in HR and the Academic Department, and never directly from him. Plus, you are mistaken about why the faculty come - at least for the 2010/2011 year, which was, according to many in the HR Department and according to the students themselves, the best team of teachers this school has ever had. We were all very dedicated to the school's mission and to helping students achieve their goals and find success. Yes, the paycheck is nice, but it is not nearly the amount you must imagine. In fact, most faculty this year were hired for less than in previous years. A faculty member's decision to work here is very clearly not about the money.

Faculty should not come here under any illusions about their future at this school. New faculty who arrived last fall and who are set to arrive this fall will be replaced with local Bosnian professors to cut costs, and students will receive no discount on their tuition with this new plan. Faculty are stranded, unemployed, in Bosnia because of deceit. If they had been informed, as the should have been when they were asking about next academic year, in March, they could have made other plans. But instead, they were strung along until the last minute.
aristophanies

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »

One more thing, Common: faculty must plan to bring between $4200-6500 USD with them because they will have to pay for their own expenses regarding employment in a foreign country (visas, work permits, residency permits, medical exam, translations, notarized copies, diploma recognition costs, 2 months rent + deposit equal to one month's rent, food, transportation, etc.) before they ever see one red Lincoln cent in pay. This further indicates that working for this school is clearly not about the money.
crkens

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 6:08:51 PM »

You are so right Aristo, the comparison was far to kind.  I'll do better next time.  I thought the U in AUBiH stood for university, but apparently it's a translation problem.  In South Slavic, in the Tuzla dialect, it means advanced grade school.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:02:26 PM by moderator » Logged
szulczyk2

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »

This is in response to Commonís reply as to quitting a university.  As a professional, it is extremely difficult to quit and walk out on an employer, even if the employer was abusing his employees.  The act of quitting does three things.  First, quitting imposes hardship on the employer.  Although PhDs may be a dime by the dozen, especially in my field economics, the university has to explain to the students, cancel classes, or partial reimburse the students for the courses.  It takes time to get a new PhD to take over.  Second, quitting imposes costs on the employee.  The employee, professor in this case, forgoes his salary.   Consequently, quitting sends a powerful message to the university administration and financially harms both parties.  In theory, the administration should improve over time.  However, I have not seen this yet.  

Quitting has a three impact.  The professor is on the job market.  Universities are on a calendar system and the hiring process is extremely slow.  If a professor quit at the end of the fall semester, in all likelihood, the professor would not likely start in the spring semester at another university, unless they have good contacts at that university.  The professor may have to wait until the summer or fall to start teaching again.  Another problem is the professor did not finish the contract.  A new university may not understand why a professor quit halfway through his contract or heaven forbid quit before the semester was over.  Consequently, the professor has a strike against them for the next job interview.  A professor may be stuck in a terrible job for a year.

I know, because I went through this.  A certain university in Bosnia was the second worse employer I had, but I honored my contract.  I made it one academic year.  My worse employer was a university in Kazakhstan that coincidentally had the word American in its name too like the university in Bosnia.  I quit the Kazahh university before the end of the fall semester.  Every job interviewer asked about it.  In Kazakhstan, I just said salary problems.  They understood there.  Each month working at the university, my monthly salary became smaller.  In the U.S., I just said the university had an interesting management style.  This always led to more questions.  The cardinal rule is never criticize a previous employer.  This becomes strike two!

A good source for spotting universities with management problems is complaints on a forum.  If I see one or two complaints about a university I am applying to, then I think the problem is with the professors.  If I see hundreds of complaints on a university, then there has to be a university management problem.  Unfortunately, CHE moderators have censored threads about a certain university in Bosnia, even though some threads were quite informative and very true.  There were not enough complaints to stop me from going to Bosnia, but I did not know CHE removed complaints, especially the informative ones.

Complaints not only inform prospective new hires, it may hinder future plans of a university president named DP.  This university has a very high probability of failure.  If the university does fail, I guarantee DP will head to another country in the former Yugoslavia to form a new university.  A hindrance to his plans would be all these complaints shackled to his leg.  Thus, these complaints are necessary.  My conclusion is simple, you have to go with the status quo until you find a job somewhere else.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:03:45 PM by moderator » Logged
aristophanies

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 4:21:41 PM »

To add to Szulcyzk's post, also included in professors' contracts at this university is a Compensatory Damages clause. This means that if a professor arrives and decides to leave before the end of the contract period, s/he must pay all costs to replace him/herself. Thus, the prof is essentially stuck from the point of arrival until the end of the contract period.

crkens

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 6:05:46 AM »

The president of said university has already tried to go into business in Serbia, via a purchase, but couldn't come up with the necessary financial backing.  I heard this from a friend in Serbia, so it's second hand.  What would have happened to the university in Bosnia is anyones guess.  Once the Balkan countries are incorporated into the EU, said president will find it much more difficult to operate outside the law.  I think it is agreed, that the CHE assists and abets poor universities in their hiring by deleting negative posts.  It simply isn't possible to slander either the ownership or the administration of said university.
common

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 1:59:51 AM »

@szulczyk2
Thanks for explaining the details. Well being not informed can easily be changed. Create a website and upload another forum where you can talk what ever you want to. I am guessing everyone (especially a PhD holder) will Google the University when confronted with the idea of working there.
I was  a Little bit mad since no one offered any arguments, instead it was like in the game kill the Lucas :)

As far as DP and it's University is concerned I got my job in a Western country so I don't really care about what is going down there.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 2:01:00 AM by common » Logged
drmau

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 6:55:42 AM »

Website mentioned above has been pulled.
aristophanies

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 6:44:11 AM »

Yes, drmau, it has been pulled twice now, but it should be back up soon.

This demonstrates how AUBiH squashes free speech when the deceitful actions of the administration are revealed to unsuspecting students, parents, and educators. Let's hope that SUNY and the U.S. Government pay attention to the handwriting on the wall and stop supporting this university.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:05:28 PM by moderator » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: