• May 5, 2016
May 05, 2016, 12:12:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Additions Thread  (Read 93135 times)
docmama

« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2012, 1:59:56 pm »

Titania, sorry to hear about all of the breastfeeding anxiety.  Pregnant_sock gave some great advice-- the decision you make today doesn't necessarily need to be the decision you make tomorrow.  The choice isn't a dichotomy between formula and breastmilk-- there's an infinite range of options in between.   The only other thing I would reiterate (and I wanted to punch the women who said this to me with my first child, but they were right) is that things look a whole lot different at six weeks than they do at even four weeks.   

Another thing to consider is what they were weighing at the hospital. I say this because my daughter was weighed at birth at 8 lbs 4 oz and managed to poop SEVEN TIMES the first day she was born.  The next day they came in and told me she had lost whatever that magical percentage was that concerned them.  Well, hell, you try pooping seven times in one day and see what happens to your weight! All this to say that the magic number of weight at the hospital isn't necessarily the best evaluation of your baby's gain.
titania

« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:07 pm »

Baby Sammy is finally gaining weight in leaps and bounds, so it looks like we did the right thing, as sad as I still am about it.  The crazy spitup has started over here as well!  Scienceprof, how are things going with you?  Still washing up tons of spitup?  Are you still breastfeeding, pumping and formula feeding?  I currently have baby on my lap, pumps on my breasts, and my iPad in my hand!  Multitasking...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:28:11 pm by titania » Logged
collegekidsmom
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »

That's great, Titania! So glad things are going better. Too much spitup can be normal, or it can be because too much food is going into baby too fast. Hope all continues to go well for you and Sammy.
humpty_dumpty

« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »

titania, tablet PCs are the doctor's prescription for moms :) My wife also has one on her lap all the time, and says she doesn't know how she would sruvive without one :)

Our doctor says spitup can be caused by the baby eating too fast and gulping down lots of air, but as long as the baby gains wieght, it's nothing to worry about. We're nearing three months, and still spitting up plenty, but growing like a weed too, so we just make sure there's lots of wiping material aroud, and joking aobut it :)
scienceprof

« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2012, 2:17:24 am »

Baby Sammy is finally gaining weight in leaps and bounds, so it looks like we did the right thing, as sad as I still am about it.  The crazy spitup has started over here as well!  Scienceprof, how are things going with you?  Still washing up tons of spitup?  Are you still breastfeeding, pumping and formula feeding?  I currently have baby on my lap, pumps on my breasts, and my iPad in my hand!  Multitasking...

I find it impossible to multitask that much!  I really can't hold Henry while I pump, because I can't figure out a good way to sit for both.  He is not spitting up every time anymore, maybe once or twice a day, but so far only I have been spit up all over, never my husband, which is annoying.  He is also eating a ton (of formula, still a small amount of breatmilk) the last two days. 

The plural of anecdote is not data
testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2012, 4:03:52 am »

Hello, all! I'm moseying over here from the pregnancy thread. Our son, who shall be known on the fora (but not real life....) as Squirt, was born two weeks ago today. He is doing really well, which I am very grateful for. I am on sleep deprivation, too, but nothing like what some of you are facing.

I am slowly, slowly recovering from delivery; all went well right up until the very end, when the placenta let go and I lost 5 pints of blood in half an hour, then another pint before all was said and done. For the first few days, I couldn't even sit up in bed; it was nearly a week before I could pick up Squirt myself. That was bizarre- hearing your baby cry and not being able to walk over and console him, but having to wait for someone to hand him to you. I am really lucky that my husband could be home for these two weeks, and was more than amazing at taking care of me and the day to day stuff so that I could focus on recovering and feeding Squirt. Now that I'm starting to feel better, I am just realizing how much of the first 10 days or so I missed just because I was too exhausted to think.

Now that I am feeling better, I'm starting to feel a little lonely. I don't have family around, and obviously, everyone else is working. I'm surprised how fast I went from having no desire whatsoever to have visitors, to feeling lonely. Blame the hormones, I guess?

Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana.
drspouse

« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2012, 11:39:53 am »

testing, I can assure you it's the situation as well as the hormones, as I felt pretty lonely after mrspouse had to go home before we had the paperwork in order to travel home with babyspouse. I had a very very dear friend who came and took me out every couple of days, though, and that saved my mental bacon. At this age, you can actually go and sit in a booth in a restaurant and put the baby on the seat and he will stay there, which was my salvation, or he will lie in the stroller while you walk to the store.

I am wondering if there is a Not So New Additions thread, as babyspouse will be three months on Monday!
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2012, 12:08:25 pm »

Congratulations to all the new arrivals!

For those of you stressing about feeding the baby and the best way to do so:

My truly awesome lactation consultant had three rules about breastfeeding:

1. Feed the baby
2. Feed the baby
3. Feed the baby.

If that meant formula only, formula supplements, pumping and bottle-feeding and supplementing with formula... so be it. The most important rule that may not ever be broken was that you had to feed the baby. The rest was details. Not everyone is able (for many different reasons) to feed the baby by nursing alone. Bioson refused to nurse. Flat Out Refused. I know now that was the first manifestation of Sensory Defensiveness. I pumped and bottle fed him pumped milk for 6 months because I could. But when I got to the point when I was getting resentful, I quit. Bioette nursed much better. I also weaned her sooner since my milk dried up as soon as I went back to work.

Feed the baby. As long as you do that, you're doing fine! If baby spits up, it's just proof you were feeding the baby! Get whatever help you need and let go of the guilt.

Testing the waters- I had a postpartum hemorrhage and while I didn't lose as much as you did, I was amazingly drained. I was told later that I was "this" close to a transfusion. It got me an extra day in the hospital when you didn't get extra time in the hospital. Yes, get a friend to drive you to Local Cafe and have a snack while you chat. The local library, if it's close enough, can also be a refuge for you. Are you near a nursing home? Go visit some residents with Baby. You'll get all the gushing and validating you can handle.

Hang in there.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
tranquil_prof
Formally expectingprof

« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2012, 4:01:29 pm »

How's everyone doing?

My son is around 9 months old now, and he is so much fun. I can't get enough of him these days. I appreciate my job and all, but I occasionally daydream about working part time so I could have more time for everything else. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Anyone else feel that?
titania

« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2012, 12:48:45 pm »

How's everyone doing?

My son is around 9 months old now, and he is so much fun. I can't get enough of him these days. I appreciate my job and all, but I occasionally daydream about working part time so I could have more time for everything else. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Anyone else feel that?

It would be lovely if we could work part time or perhaps have a year of maternity leave like they do in some european countries!  I keep having to explain to my mother that I can't do part time as my job is all or nothing, and in my field, if I leave the tenure track, I will never be able to get back on it.

We are doing well over here - Sammy just passed his birth weight finally at 5 weeks (he had lost over a full pound the first week and then gained nothing for two weeks) but he is full speed ahead now - eating like there is no tomorrow and putting on 8 ounces a week.  I did go ahead and take the domperidone, and it does seem to be increasing my supply as Sammy has spit up a ton of breastmilk the last two days, which suggests we are having some adjustment issues.  I still supplement him with about 4-8 ounces a day of formula.  He has gotten so used to his top up bottle that he cries for it after every feeding, even when he is full (at least judging by the spit up...).

I am only just starting to think about non- feeding, cleaning and sleeping things to do with the baby!  We had tummy time, and I waved a rattle at him, and he is currently snoozing in his swing, which is so awesome!  I haven't typed with two hands in weeks!  Any suggestions for enrichment activities for a 6 week old baby?

How is everyone else doing with the new or not so new additions??
paxphd

« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2012, 3:47:31 pm »

Hi everyone! PaxBaby celebrates his 5 month birthday today, so I guess we are a not-so-new addition as well :)

We are doing great, aside from the fact that PaxBaby is STILL not sleeping - it seems to get worse and worse rather than better.  He wakes 5-7 times a night and his naps are a mess...plus, he doesn't seem to want to nurse to sleep anymore [aside from when he nurses in the middle of the night], so nap- and bed-time are often a big challenge to see who will prevail, Baby or mama.  [Mama usually prevails, but it takes a while].  It breaks my heart to feel that the one thing that is supposed to calm him down no matter what doesn't seem to any more...but he's still nursing eagerly, so I'm not too concerned about him self-weaning.  Just self-weaning from nursing to sleep [which maybe isn't such a bad thing?]

Anyway, we're sleep deprived but happy, and PaxBaby is curious, smiley, has a great laugh, and rolls over the minute you put him on his tummy...so much for tummy time these days!

We take our first trans-Atlantic trip next week [3 weeks back in the field for me to do follow up work] - I am looking forward to getting out of our regular routine for a bit.  And we are looking into 3-4 days a week of daycare next year, rather than 10 hours a week, so that I can teach and finish my dissertation.

Edited to add: I've seen some newborns recently, and it amazes me to realize just HOW QUICKLY I've forgotten about the breastfeeding issues of PaxBaby's first weeks.  it really was a daze...

How is everyone else?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 3:48:54 pm by paxphd » Logged
fishwish
Still a Junior, No Matter What

« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2012, 1:07:31 pm »

Surfacing for the first time in a while....been way too covered with teaching 9 classes and trying to run a 2-kid, 2-parent household.

I hope everyone is doing well and welcome to all the new arrivals! Guppy2 turned 8 months old this week, he's crawling (in a nontraditional way...combination of rolling and military crawl), trying to pull up on things (he's not quite there yet), and is jabbering away most of the time when he's awake. He also just recovered from his first bad viral infection (high fever for a couple of days, poor sleeping, poor eating during that time), so that's another "milestone" under the belt.

Shockingly, I'll also need to go back the Pregnancy thread. Yep....another guppy is on the way. Totally, completely unexpected and I seriously felt much like a teenager might when discovering that I'm pregnant (the whole, "WHAT? How could that happen? It was only once....over spring break!" was my actual first set of thoughts when I saw the home pregnancy go positive). But, all seems to be going well (8 weeks along) and yesterday's first prenatal check showed a correctly sized and developed (for now) embryo doing everything that it is supposed to be doing (heart rate recorded at 171 beats/minute, could see elongated arm buds, slightly shorter leg buds, head area and spinal column looked good....the U/S tech at my Ob's office is phenomenal!)

I hope to be able to participate more fully in the threads now that the semester is nearly over, and again, I hope everyone is doing well and having fun!

monita

« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2012, 2:46:45 pm »

Wow, Fishwish... congratulations!
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2012, 6:36:06 pm »

Congrats fishwish, and good luck!

Anitoddler is such a...well, toddler...these days that I had to briefly peek into this thread to remind myself of how it was when he was young.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2012, 4:10:19 pm »

Wow, congrats Fishwish! Nice, happy news, as long as you are good with it.

Went to a conference last week, and left Will with MIL for about 4 days, which went fine. I got a bit engorged, and now that I am back, have a blocked duct that hurts. I keep feeding him on that side, hoping it will go away. I also have coldsores and a cold/overall not feeling 100% so I'm taking it easy today. Pumping worked OK, but it's hard to step away from an engaging conversation to go back to the room and pump, and it's harder to come up with a decent excuse around my mostly male colleagues. I did it before, with Reenerette, and this time I did not save the milk, but dumped it, which meant I didn't worry so much about what I was eating and drinking. I came back and realized I hadn't had a glass of milk in 4 days.

Will is doing great, still a happy, easy-going baby. He's just this close to turning fully over. He is getting bored with his options of bouncy seat or highchair, and can only sit up for a few minutes with the Boppy's help. I think he'll like crawling and exploring (although I may not). He's eating solid foods too, with good results. Rice powder was constipating him, so we switched to oatmeal, which works better. I've been making all his food, and that has worked out fine.

Oh, and we worked out the numbers--since I do mostly cloth diapers, we have spent $13/month on disposable over the last three months. I also saved 250 oz of breast milk for the conference, and still have 100 oz left. I think I'll stop pumping extra now.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: