• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:01:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Additions Thread  (Read 90204 times)
littlefred
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: June 16, 2011, 3:51:55 PM »

Today is our first day home from the NICU, and I thought I'd  move to a new thread, so we don't terrify the pregnant ladies on the pregnancy thread any longer!

We have been home almost 24 hours! Our first night home was a bit difficult, but actually not nearly as much as I had feared. She fussed from 11-2:30am, which was tough for me, but then she slept well until just about 6:30. At least I had an almost 4 hour stretch.

Then we walked to the pediatrician's office for an 11am appointment, then home. I stopped at my neighbor's house up the street to introduce Chicklet to she and her 5 month old son. I also discovered yesterday that the new neighbors have a 1 year-old boy and are expecting a second in about a month. I think it'll be great that there are some other kids here!

She is sleeping now, I took a quick nap with her, but I expect her to be up for feeding soon. I probably will wish I had napped a bit more.

All-in-all, it is wonderful to just have her home. It was a long 11 days for me (especially) and also bigfred. Yesterday was also the one-year anniversary of his Dad's death, so it was an interesting and heart-wrenching day.

I have my little family all together. I'm pretty content.

The suspense is killing me! Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue ...
kithara

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 3:56:58 PM »

Congratulations, LittleFred!  So exciting that babyfred is home with you now!  Try to get some rest when you can.

Quote from: nezahualcoyotl
We're talking about keeping an eye on students for a few minutes ... not juggling cats while riding a unicycle on the high wire while singing arias and solving differential equations in one's head.
docmama

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 4:04:08 PM »

Wonderful news, littlefred! We've been home for two weeks now, but my husband's only been back at work for two days. Yesterday was my first day home alone with the baby and we both survived! 
It's a really great feeling to have everyone together in the same place.  Sadly enough, we've splintered off again and the two year old is at daycare while the husband is at work. I'm really looking forward to the weekend!

Also, I'd really like to know what it is that these little ones know about two in the morning that I'm missing... it just isn't that exciting to me!
alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 4:13:52 PM »

Congratulations, Littlefred!

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 4:24:15 PM »

Congratulations, Littlefred and Docmama!

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 5:55:54 PM »

Congratulations, littlefred and docmama!  I imagine that it's an exciting/overwhelming/exhausting time for you both.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
compdoc

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 6:16:03 PM »

Congratulations, littlefred and docmama!  I imagine that it's an exciting/overwhelming/exhausting time for you both.
+1

May baby sleep through the night soon.
fishwish
Still a Junior, No Matter What

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 2:42:58 PM »

So glad the newest additions are home!

littlefred: How wonderful the first night at home was great (even with the fussy stretch) and so very happy you are feeling less stressed! Congratulations, again!!

Documama: Congratulations to you again, as well! We'll be in the same "boat" with the splinter effect shortly after Guppy2 is born (which will be sometime during the second week of August). Guppy1 (3 year old) will go back to daycare when the spousal unit returns to work, which will be as soon as possible once we all get home after the birth (and that is simply due to other things going on in spousal unit's practice, rather than his desire to get back that quickly). I already hate that we won't be able to do a longer family time like we did when Guppy1 was born, but we'll make it through.

Hope all continue to do well!
palla

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 2:46:05 PM »

Wonderful news, littlefred and documama!!  I am thrilled for both of you and wish you the best of luck as you venture through the next stages of life!
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 2:51:58 PM »

I'm so happy for you, Littlefred, and your wonderful family.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 4:36:58 PM »

Congratulations!! Welcome to the new forababies.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
traductio
Unassuming

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 4:51:51 PM »

Congratulations! My daughter turns one today,  the year went by quickly in ways that I couldn't have imagined before she was born. Every cliché about raising children, I've discovered, is true, especially the good ones.

Now I'm getting teary-eyed -- I'm a big marshmallow, which I also had not predicted before!

"alors comment disposer de ce qui est mort en vous désormais? Tout simplement en s'accommodant de l'irréversible constat de décès. Ensuite prendre ce qui reste, lui fixer un itinéraire" Daniel Bélanger, "Round 8"
august
Member since 2004, and finally a

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »

Just wanted to drop in to this thread and say "Congratulations!!" 

The new baby time is very wonderful!  My kids are toddler age and up (but less than 10). 

Enjoy!

August

"All you progressives have done is to elevate this duck man."
littlefred

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 9:41:12 AM »

Thanks everyone! traductio, I too am finding the cliches to be true (mostly so far the good ones)

It already feels like she's been here forever.... and I'm in love.

The suspense is killing me! Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue ...
antiphon1

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 9:47:14 AM »

Thanks everyone! traductio, I too am finding the cliches to be true (mostly so far the good ones)

It already feels like she's been here forever.... and I'm in love.

Awwww.  Congratulations littlefred and documama!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: